If a person asks you to sign a paper stating that you rent from them and you don't would you do it for a friend?

I was asked to do so and I refused... would you

miamoma

Asked by miamoma at 5:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• no way
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• No. I wouldn't do it. Then you have entered yourself into possible legal trouble.

Why does your friend need that?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I would have refused also.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• depends on how good of a friend and what it was for
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Nope I dont lie for anyone

Answer by gemgem at 5:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• The only reason I can think of someone needing something like that is to fool the government to get assistance. So, no I wouldn't do it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Well if you rent from them that would be income added to their total from food stamps or what not, so there wouldn't be a benefit to i,, Why did someone want that?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You should have a rescind letter ready to give them immediately. So basically you sign something saying that you rent but the contract is void if rescinded within XXX amount of days. Then you sign a seperate letter, which is a rescind letter saying that you would like to void the contract. They don't have to show the bank the rescind letter but you have it just in case anything comes of the original letter. Make sense?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 5:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• That is lying, so no.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Also, keep in mind, that if the IRS were to be tipped off the you received rental income and did not report it, you could be looking at some back-tax issues.

Definate;y something you should stay away from.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011