How can I get a deadbeat dad to pay bills?

I have a situation that I have been going thru for years (14 to be exact) and I would like some advice-as I write this question, I know how stupid I must seem and I am finally realizing that. My childrens's father and I have been together but we are not legally married due to financial reasons (he owes child support to 2 other children). All together, he has 8 kids, 4 of them are mine and one he had while cheating on me 3 years ago. I allowed him to stay, only because of my kids who are very attached, but there is no love in our relationship-he does nothing for me. Financially, he only pays one bill, our light bill and a small bill, the water bill. I pay everything else and then when I am broke because I have paid all the bills, he doesn't even want to buy food or give me money for gas. He doesn't buy the kids' clothes, I do it all, with the help of my mom and sister. Two days ago, he was approved for his social security disability-he has asthma and a new diagnosis of diabetes. I learned that my kids will not be eligible for anything because we are in the same home but his other kids will receive a check every month. I am afraid that he will try to pocket his money while I break my neck working double shifts and my kids will continue to not get anything. I am tying to get back into college so I will not have to depend on him or anyone else. I explained to him that he will have to pay bills, even if he left me and got his own place. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• Kick him to the curb and find a real man, that's all I got, sorry, I feel for ya.

momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 5:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't think there's anything you can do except hope that he will somehow come to do the right thing. It might not hurt to call your local county attorney's office or your state Attorney General's office and ask what the law is in situations like yours. They should be able to tell you if you can legally force him to help you support these children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Its time to get a lawyer the time for talking abd polite banter is over
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Sorry and
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• If I were in that situation ..

I would contact a lawyer, prepare a palimony suit and file for child custody & child support... Then come home and have him move out (asap).. If he refused to leave, I would take legal action to have him removed from my home
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• pixie trix hit the nail on the head .REMOVE THIS BASTARD FROM YOUR HOME ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'd kick him out and file for child support. It's likely he won't pay the child support that's ordered, but at least he's not mooching off of you anymore at that point. And the child support builds up and eventually the courts will nail him for not paying it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2011