Is this true? If so its about damn time!

My cousin posted this on FB and I was wondering if anyone else heard about it, what are your thoughts and should this go into effect into the rest of the states as well?

"Florida is the first state that will require drug testing when applying for welfare (effective July 1st)! Some people are crying this is unconstitutional. How is this unconstitutional yet it's okay that every working person had to pass a drug test in order to support those on welfare? Let's get Welfare back to the one's who NEED it, not those that just WANT it!!!"

IMO I agree! :)

myownhappiness

Asked by myownhappiness at 5:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If you want to live off the taxpayers dime, you should follow the tax payers stipulations.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't believe they should test unless they have good reason to do so . Drug tests aren't cheap. More tax dollars poured into paying lab technicians and people to supervise the test to ensure it isn't altered. Not to mention you can just buy a cleanse at your local head shop and home test clean before you tested for the state.

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I hope it gets passed in every state, not only that but they should d radom UAs when youre on welfare and or foodstamps
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• The biggest problem I can see is that Rick Scott put his share of Solantic, the company being used to test in his wife's name.. It seems to be a big conflict of interest. And the taxpayers have to pay for this testing. So will it cost the taxpayers more or less in the long run? Obviously he is going to profit from this by proxy.

Not saying I object to state employees and people who want government assistance being drug tested. I've had my share of drug screens when I was in the military. It just seems a little too convenient and a little sketchy.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• But it's sad that the kids will go without because of the parents crappy choice!

Chances are if mom and dad are drug addicts the kids will not get what they need with assistance or without. From what I read the kids can still get their benefits the parents just cannot collect them. The parent would have to assign someone else that was suitable and drug free to get the benefits for their children. Seems like a win for kids actually.
    Anonymous

Actually there is more than one drug test out there and they vary by cost and cheating. At the company my husband works for they do random tests and have changed from sending you to a testing site to coming to the company and swabbing your cheek then and there with no advance notice. He said he was told the cost is about $12. Without advance notice, you can't "cleanse" yourself.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I completely agree. they need to make it legal in ALL states because that would cut out a lot of the people that abuse it and give others that need it the opportunity to get it!
    2_amazing_boys

Answer by 2_amazing_boys at 5:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• AZ has been drug testing welfare recipients for years, but they do it randomly. FL's new law is a big deal because they will drug test every single applicant.

Personally, I see the motive behind it, but the testing costs money, so I doubt they will really save that much money and you can just go buy one of those cleanser drinks anyway. Drug addicts are resourceful, they will find a way around it.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I agree that EVERYONE should be tested for drugs. I say hurrrah for Florida.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011