God and suffering.

What do you think your god thinks, understands or feels about human suffering?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Religious Debate

• i think God understands human suffering and doesnt enjoy it, but doesnt interfere. not so much "lets" bad things happen, but rather if He did step in for every single person during every single hard time we'd never learn anything, we'd never grow. i dont think hardships are a test tho...just the results of human nature & circumstance.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Yes he understands, there are those that are called suffering souls. It's what you do with this that determines how you live your life. One of my sons could be considered a suffering soul. he has a rare bone disease, that causes bumps, and one of his arms to be shorter then the other. He knows at some time he will need surgery, but fro right now he does his best to an 11 yo boy. There are many who look up to him, his Dad for one. He is his Dads hero. Why/ because someone at one time said in front of him, How could God do this to a beautiful boy. With out missing a beat he said. God didn't do this to me, he allowed it to happen, so others can see God through me. he has learned that when his wrist goes out of place or his knees lock to sit, use this as a prayer for others, until it corrects itself ( which only takes a few minutes) He says it's God's way of saying hey slow down and pray for others.
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• God is Love. That is the deepest, most powerful emotion. It is not only ours but His that He has shown to us. I know this to be true on a personal level.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't know. I think maybe he suffers along with us. I don't think we can ever completely understand why there is so much suffering in the world.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• This is how I see it....IF there were a god, he/she/it would feel any and all human emotions on every single level. This god would suffer along with us when we are hurting...and being the all loving, merciful god it was, she/he/it would do any and all things to alleviate this pain and suffering.
    One does not take joy in the suffering of loved ones. AND when we CAN stop it, we do. We do whatever it takes to prevent the suffering or to ease the suffering.

Which is why I will NEVER understand any kind of god that chooses to sit by and do nothing while one of his children is suffering at the hands of someone else or something else.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I believe god feels like any parent would when their children are suffering. At the same time though it does what many of us can not and leaves the children to their own free will and decisions whether he agrees or not. Whether he sees a bad out come or not he steps back and lets us make our own choices. However when we ask for help he will be there to give it, when we need some one to listen he'll lend his ear. He'll forgive us and always love us no matter how far we stray. However for the purely evil no matter how bad it kills him he will protect his other children and turn them away. He feels sadness and pain in the deepest meaning when we suffer. The pain you fill each and every day when your child hurts he feels it to. He thinks like any parent with the instinct to protect but yet the knowledge to know if he forces us we will pull farther into the danger. He is like you and me only with the ability to let us choice.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• "Which is why I will NEVER understand any kind of god that chooses to sit by and do nothing while one of his children is suffering at the hands of someone else or something else."

None of us can understand it, because none of is an omnipotent, omniscient being loving those creations. But just because we don't understand it, that doesn't mean that we know better. My children may not understand why a self-proclaimed loving and caring mother isn't giving them all they want and just go out of her way to avoid them any unpleasant experience. But just because they can't understand it it doesn't mean that I'm not doing what's actually best for them and not in spite of loving them, but because I love them.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• All knowing and all powerful, the happy paradox. Under the standard scholarly definitions of those two terms, the ONLY way for free will to exist is Thomistic. God exists outside the timestream that we live in. He knows all because every decision, every result, every action, from the beginning of time to the end, all appear before him in a single moment. Like when we open a history book and see a timeline diagram of a certain century, he would see the entire universe in that way, beginning to end, every lifeform, every disaster.

For him to be all powerful, you would think he'd be able to change those events, but if he could go back and change them, they wouldn't be as he knew them, therefore he'd no longer be all knowing. It would also nullify free will. On the other hand, if he can know suffering and is unable to change it, how can he be all powerful? He must think, feel and understand it, or he's not all knowing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Suffering teaches us empathy and it often moves us in completely different directions than we would have otherwise taken. I can't say why others have had to endure a particular hardship, but I know I've changed because of things I've gone through, and I think there was a reason for it. Learning or changing doesn't take away from the pain of suffering.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• first, let me clarify that i also think one needs to experience joy, anger, & love to grow. we grow by living & everything we do helps us to grow, not just suffering. and there are other ways to learn (like being taught at school) but most of us learn best by doing/experience...it leads to a better understanding. i dont think God interferes w/ our joy or love either. i would hope by the time we get to Heaven we have learned all we need to spiritually & that Heaven will be a paradise so that we wont have any lessons left to learn. also,
    i dont believe in "the fall" as an actual occurance, but rather a metaphor by a ppl who needed an explanation for why there was evil, so it doesnt really apply to my beliefs of God.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011