My poor dog :(

My little 8 yr old terrier has been having diarreah(sp) for about 5 -6 days now. He does eat and drink water. Its like chocolate pudding consistency(sorry for tmi). I can't really afford to take him to the vet. Does anyone know what this could be? Or how I can help him. Has this happened to anyone elses dog? Could this be something serious? If so, I will take him to the vet, but in the mean time would like to hear some answers. Oh, we did switch his food a couple of weeks ago, but then switched back to original food. I'm so sad for him :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pets

• It could be the change of diet. When you switch foods you need to do it gradually so that they don't have this type of reaction. The fact that it has been going this long you need to find a way to get him to the vet because he could be dehydrated at this point. This could be so many different things. But for the time being I would not feed him for 24 hours and see if that helps settle his stomach. then only give him a bland diet.  

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'm not sure if i would let this go on much longer- 4 or 5 days is a long time for a dog to have Diarrhea- they can Dehydrate pretty fast- my Chi/Yorkie has only been sick like that once & her had a Pancreatitis Infection- she actually had to stay overnight at the vet- i would call your vet first thing in the morning & see what they say- Wishing you lots of luck!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• For now, stop all food and just provide liquids. Pedialyte is definitely in order if you have any (or google the recipe and make some). The diet change 'could' be the problem, but there are other things as well and they would need a vet check and possible treatment.

If you don't go to a vet, don't feed him dog food tomorrow. Start him off on plain rice with boiled chicken *no skin!* or small amounts of cottage cheese ~ and only give about 1/4 his normal amount to start. If you have some plain, active yogurt you can give a tablespoon or so with each small meal.

Check his gums. If they feel sticky, he is likely dehydrated. Check his stool for blood. If he seems bloated or in pain, don't feed until you talk to a vet. If he's dehydrated, passing blood, has a fever, or is bloated you really do need a vet check.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• The poor baby is probably dehydrated by now! Please get him to the vet ASAP if you haven't already to rule out parasites. Would you let one of your human kids go 5-6 days with diarrhea without taking them to the dr?? I think not! Also, I agree with fasting him for 24 hours, then feed him a bland diet (boiled chicken or beef and rice) until his poop is normal again. Then slowly introduce him back to his dog food.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2011