I want a kitten for my toddler but I'm pregnant

I want a kitten for my toddler but I'm pregnant what should I do?

Mommy_Aiken

Asked by Mommy_Aiken at 5:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• for you being pregnant, you should wait. kids can be taught how to treat a kitten, and the kitten will help with that, that's why they have claws.... lol but you will not be able to clean out the litter box..... being pregnant. let's face it you are only pregnant for 9 mos. i think everyone in the house can wait for a kitten....
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• OP - It sounds like you're worried about toxoplasmosis. The chances are VERY high that if you've been around cats all of your life, or at least some of it, that there is no harm with taking care of the cats you have currently... But if you're wanting to add a cat to your home, you should probably wait until the pregnancy is over for several reasons.

One, you can never be too sure. You really don't want to get stuck handling and taking care of the litter box right now. Sure you can wear gloves, but that's just added strain on your back and extra stressors you don't need.

Secondly, your child is probably too young... especially for a kitten. I have three cats with my two year old and only one of them is gentle enough for her. He's 3 years old. If they were kittens, I am sure she'd end up with many more scratches than she currently has.

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think you should wait to at least until you have the baby. You arent suppose to clean the litter box or or even be around the litter box while prego. Like nybor said you are only prego for 9 months.
    tgeary

Answer by tgeary at 6:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• you should wait for the toddler to get a bit older because some toddlers play with the animals a bit too rough and the kitten might stike back with its claws.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My son was 3 when we got our kitten.. he terrorized her.. she was a give away last of the litter and it wasn't a planned thing to have her but I would wait a bit...especially as kittens they bite and have sharp nails.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Depends on the age, my son is 2 and he would be to rough, my daughter is 4 and would be more gentle.
    thangelbabybug

Answer by thangelbabybug at 5:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• my brothers kids squeeze the stuff-en out of their pets but my son Ky is surprisingly kind with soft touches.
    Mommy_Aiken

Comment by Mommy_Aiken (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Thirdly, obviously at this age the kitten wouldn't really be for your child. Even if you don't see that right now. You'd be the one feeding it, watering it, brushing it, and loving it. At this age toddlers have the attention span of a fly. Not much attention would actually be given to the kitten from your child. You'd also get stuck reprimanding and training both of them right now. I just really don't think it's a very good decision. After this baby is born, you're going to be sucked into both of your little ones with very little time to actually spend with the kitten.

Obviously it's your decision. But, I just don't think the timing is right. Animals are a fantastic addition to any household, but it has to be done at the right time.

Good luck.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My kids are 4 and 7.5. We've had cats for just over a year. We even inherited a cat when we moved in to our new place 6 months ago. Our cats are 4.5, 4.5 and 1.5. I'm CONSTANTLY yelling at my daughter to stop grabbing, gripping, pulling, sticking fingers in the eyes/mouth of the cats. Yes, she's a VERY gentle girl, but if I don't stay on top of her she'll terrorize the cats, and they're fully grown and able to protect themselves.

I would wait until the toddler is older. When you DO get a cat/kitten I would get a pair. They can annoy each other instead of your toes at 3am.

There is a largish shelter around here that will not adopt to households with kids under 7. I can understand WHY, I don't always agree with it, but I understand.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We got our cat when I was pregnant with my 3rd baby...no problems. (he was a kitten at the time)
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011