Just found out my younger brother whos 21 is having a baby with his girl friend who is HIV positive.......

Long story short I dont even really know my family any more because there all either drug addicts or alcholics so once I married my husband we pretty much went our own way which was the best thing. I talk to my mom about once or twice a month just to make sure my siblings are all still alive and today she dropped the bomb on me that my brother is having a baby! My mom is embarresed of my other siblings so she kept this from me for a while cause his girlfriend is already 4 months along. She didnt want to talk about it anymore so we got off the phone and I just sat there and cried because my brother is addicted to pain pills and drinks allot like my mom and last I heard of his gf she had been in rehab. My mom said they have no money and my brother has been crying cause hes worried about the baby getting aids so shes tyrying to get them on gov assistants. I know who his gf is and she is very sweet but not so much smart cause I remember 2 yrs ago she was trying to get pregnant without my brother knowing and they both were really bad on drugs/alchol then. So my brother is living with my dad right now and going to move in with my mom in the next couple of days with his gf so I dont even know how to take all this in. I want to congradulate him but Its very hard for me to act as if everything is going to be ok. Its a cycle in my family, my moms mom gave her away to a girls home and she is an alcholic too and then my oldest sister just gave her kids away to there dad cause shes a drug addict and that was more important to her then her own childen so I dont see good things coming from this. I wish them the best and want to tell him that but i just dont see it happening. Thanks for letting me vent

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I am praying for you and your family and most of all for this wee baby. This must be incrediably scary and hard for al involved. I could not imagine getting pregnant while having HIV ...thats...just...wow
    Pheen5

Answer by Pheen5 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Not sure what the question is LOL I believe ur right for having these feelings but if ur really not involved with them, y let urself get worked up?
    KrisieK

Answer by KrisieK at 6:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• FYI.. . .is she is pregnant, she is eligible for immediate assistance. She should go to Planned Parenthood. They can monitor her pregnancy for her and sign her up with a program. It is very important that she start for anti-viral regimen ASAP to prevent the infection from spreading to the baby.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Why would I get my self worked up ?! Are you kidding me, just because i dont talk to them does not mean I dont have fealings. He is my BROTHER, who grew up with me. You might be able to stand cold but thats not me sorry. I will always worry about my family no matter how discconected we all are from eachother. Any thank you ImaginationMama, I will talk to my mom about Planned Parenthood since I have no way of getting ahold of my brother.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'm sorry to hear about your family.
    If it is any encouragement I have worked a lot with HIV and AIDS and if the person takes the medication properly, HIV is as manageable as diabetes. The baby will be just fine if she gets proper prenatal care. She will not be able to breastfeed but the chance of her baby getting HIV from birth is VERY VERY low if the mom is taking the proper medication.
    Hopefully this beautiful baby will be the incentive that your brother needs to turn his life around.
    Best wishes and prayers.

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 6:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2011