Babies and Beer!!!

I'm still in shock. We just had a couple over dinner with their 10 month old son. They are friends of a friend so we don't know them that well. Anyway their son kept reaching for his dad's beer bottle and the mom said, "Oh just give him a sip." They explained that he LOVES BEER and they let him have some now and then!!!! Please don't bother responding by telling me what a BAD idea this is. I don't need 50 people explaining that. Please only answer this... Do you do this or know other people who do? Feel free to answer anonymously because I can't imagine anyone would answer honestly with their name attached.

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son will reach for my husbands beer bottle but he WONT give him any, I think he just likes the color of it and besides he reaches for EVERYTHING but that doesnt mean we give it to him. And also what I got from Maureens question was that she didnt expect someone who DID let there kids drink to answer with there name, but I think you took it the wrong way, no need to jump down her throat. But Im not causing conflict for myself nor will I answer annon. just being honest.
    JonahsMom1107

Answer by JonahsMom1107 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• It has happened to me except my ex would leave beer bottles around with a swig or 2 left not much at all and I caught my son with one in his mouth and acting like it was a bottle with formula or milk in it I was scared and outraged.
    Anonymous

• Well You obviously DONT know me. I would NEVER give a child beer or wine. Or ANY alcohol for that matter. And I would report ANY parent I saw doing it and saying it's OK. Alcohol will seriously effect a child's brain and can cause serious mental defects.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• vbruno I didn't say I knew you. I explained in my question that I know it's wrong. I know other people do it and wanted to hear their rational.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I've seen people do that with their pets also. Some to see the funny face or reaction others to teach as a lesson not to touch it. I heard of 1 dad who cought his son smoking and made him go in a closet ad smoke the whole pack. Another person wanted to teach their kid to swim by throwing them in the deep end of a pool. Just because people can give birth does not make them good parents.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Maureen55....you said...."I can't imagine anyone would answer honestly with their name attached"" and what I mean is you didnt count on someone like me who is not afraid to answer openly!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• my dad did that to me when i was about 5. ikept asking for some so he let me have it. nasty shit, that is. i've rarely drank since. i have a daquari or margarita once or twice a year. since alcholism runs in my family, it seems to have worked for him anyway. cause i don't do beer at all. ever. gross.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Yes, vbruno but I also was asking for responses only from people who have experiences with this. I didn't want to be bombarded by opinions because I think it's pretty cut and dry on this one. I didn't expect anyone to admit to doing it without being anon.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• A friend of mine let my son sip his drink when he was little, I flipped when I seen happen, and it has never happened again. Though I do remember my dad letting me sip his beer but I wasnt that little, and it was rare.
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 11:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• my kids try to grab the can too. i thick its just a stage they go trough, when there curous about everything.we nevr gave them .i think they really just whanna taste what is is daddy's drinkin all the time.i cant stand beer. and i also remeber my uncles giveing me sipps when i was yonger.never did any harm as far as i can tell
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2008