My 19 month old naps for 3 hours each afternoon...

my husband says that I should wake him up after an hour cause 3 hours is too long to nap. He usually goes down around 11:30 and gets up at 2:30. He goes to bed at 7:30 each night really good. Anyone else have a toddler that takes a long nap?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine sleeps like that, too. Don't wake him up. He's sleeping because he needs to sleep. Most toddlers actually aren't getting enough sleep. Yours is. Why mess with a good thing? Lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• That is perfectly normal! I have a 23 month old and he take a nap any were between 2.5-3hr. nap every day. I love it cause I can get some stuff done around the house or I can lay down with him. As long as there's no problem with your child getting to bed at night time then there should be no reason to wake him up. Baby's need allot of sleep, even when there toddlers.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My daughter does all the time. It takes her about 2 hours now just to fall asleep, she likes to play instead of falling asleep right away. Then she sleeps for about 2-3 hours. Her nap time used to be about 1pm-3pm. Now she goes down at 1, passes out between 2 and 3 and wakes up between 430 and 6. Just in time for dinner. I think it's perfectly normal.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 3:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My 23 mo does that sometimes too. Normally he naps for about 2 hrs, but some days it's longer. Yesterday he slept for about 4.5 hrs! I just let him sleep because I figure he must need it, otherwise he would wake up! I wouldn't worry about it!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 3:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• If your child is going to bed and sleeping through the night, and still taking long naps, he needs the sleep. My son (now 32 and a father himself) used to nap an hour in the AM, 2-3 hours in the afternoon and go to bed at 7:30 PM and sleep until 7 AM.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 3:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My 19mo son takes a nap in the morning for about an hour and sometimes he takes one in the afternoon for another hour. Then he goes to bed at about 8:30pm. I think it is normal
    3paynes

Answer by 3paynes at 4:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• If he goes to bed easily at night then he is napping the right amount. If you follow your husband's advice, I can promise you that you will have a screaming, crying, fit throwing, I'm not tired! toddler on your hands every night at bedtime. The old advice of "take the nap away, get him good and tired so he'll sleep better at night" is right up there with putting wet underpants on a kid's head to teach him to not pee his pants. Stupid, old-fashioned, and harmful to the child.

Your HUSBAND does not need to nap. Your son does. Do not wake him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• That is completly normal.
    I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old. They have always taken 2-3 hour naps since they were a year old. It is normal. You shouldn't wake him up. Kids need any where from 10-12 hours of sleep. Little one's need a whole lot more sleep than adults do. Their little bodies are growing all the time.
    Tired-Mom

Answer by Tired-Mom at 4:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I wouldnt worry about it unless he isnt sleeping at night. They are going through some major growing right now. I wish my daughter would take that long of a nap....she naps for 1.5-2 hours and goes to bed at 9 pm to wake up at 9 am
    kharmasmom

Answer by kharmasmom at 4:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My 22month old son goes to bed at 9:30 pm and gets up anytime between 9 & 10 am. During the day he sleeps from 1pm - 3 or 3:30 pm. Then a few times a week he will even curl up on the couch and nap for ½ an hour after dinner. He LOVES sleep. Talked to my doctor and he said he's absolutely fine.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2008