How was your first childbirth experience?

smileymom11

Asked by smileymom11 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• pretty damn easy
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Long, unexpected, magical.

It was 17 hours long, back labor(the worst)! But I was mentally prepared for what was to come and I stuck to my guns and did it completely natural how I planned and it the most wonderful experience of my life.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• ugh...I was induced and in labor for 36 hours...not exactly magical..but the end result as worth it!! My son was the most handsome thing I'd ever seen :)
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 6:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I hope my childbirth goes well.
    smileymom11

Comment by smileymom11 (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Really easy actually. I was so worried and was young so I had been told it was harder on teens. I got up around 3-4am and had to pee and felt contractions. Timed them. They were 5 min apart. Told my now ex. He showered since we had false alarms before, then we knew it was real it kept on. I got to the hosp and was dilated to 5. I didnt have an epidural. My doctors did not "believe in them" and I was moving along too fast anyway. At 7 I went into hard labor. I had 45 minutes of hard labor. The doctor said I would be pushing atleast 2 hours as I was a teen, tiny, and first baby. My dd was born at 8:04am. She was ready to be here. No one could believe how easy it was for me. I was watching MTV almost the whole time just chillin.

Answer by gemgem at 6:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Disappointing, and educational.

We moved a week before my due date and I refused to sit on the sidelines and take it easy. That was Monday. About 2am Tuesday I woke up feeling like I had really bad cramps and the WORST back pain ever. I kept trying to go to the bathroom but nothing helped. Sleeping was in short bursts too. 8am the doctor's office opened and I called them. They said they'd have someone call me back. I called my then boyfriend. After not taking no for an answer he left work and came to me. 10am the doctor called back. I went it to be checked out. I was told to be checked into the hospital within the hour. I was 6cm dilated. After 8 hours of back labor at home, and not knowing what was going on I got an epidural as soon as I got there. I stalled. I got pitosin. I stalled again. They broke my water. I stalled again. About 3am Wednesday I was prepped for an emergency C-section, and out came my son.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I was induced. The labor was long and frustrating (41 hours) but not nearly as painful as I had expected.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Longer and different than I expected... I was in labor for 36+ hours and ended up with an emergency c-sec when he got hung up. I wasn't it prepared in any way about how a c-section worked, a huge gap in my birthing research I guess, so I was scared. The doctors and nurses were so busy preparing me and getting me tot he er no one was able to explain what or why they were doing what they were doing or how I was supposed to be feeling! When they gave me the meds for the c-sec and the numbness went up to my arms I thought I was dying! (It was totally normal I found out) The end result was a very handsome baby boy so all in all I guess I couldn't have asked for a better ending even if the beginning was a little hectic and nerve racking.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Oh, and found out 3 years after his birth that he was an emergency C-section, when I was there for a consult on the feasibility of a VBAC. They didn't tell me that at the time of his birth. The main reason? My "bony structure" was too small for his big head to fit through me. My daughter was a planned C-section. 50/50 chance of a successful VBAC wasn't good enough for us. Good thing she was planned too, her head was the same size as her brother's at the time of birth.

LOL at one point during the prep for my daughter the doctor looked at me as asked if I realized I was having contractions. I felt NOTHING. That was before the spinal and all the numbing drugs.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I was in labor for almost 17 hours. For the most part it went really well. I had a student nurse try to put the fetal monitor into the baby's head and she messed up and ended up cutting it with me. My doctor was trying to push an epidural, that I didnt want because she wanted me to have a c section for no reason. Toward the end everyone kept interrupting me during contractions and I couldnt back in my zone so after 16 hours I got the epidural ad it was time to start pushing. It hadnt even kicked in yet. I suggest that you make your wishes very clear but stay opened minded to other options. The number one rule when in labor is to expect the unexpected but hope for the best.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011