Baby Wearing?

Do you wear your baby or toddler?
In the past I have used a rings sling, a pouch, and a baby bjorn.
I love carrying my babies, but I am now wondering about carrying my toddler on my back.
Do you have a favourite type of carrier that you would recommend for carrying your child on your back?
Thanks ladies. :)

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 6:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I carry my 11.5 month old on my back in an ergo. It was a little difficult to figure out how to safely put him and the carrier on at first. He hangs out on my back in the grocery store or while I'm cleaning the house and he loves it. The only problem is that I have caught him trying to take things off the shelf, lol.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I used my double ring carrier for my 18 month old for 9 weeks when she broker her leg in a side/hip carrying position. It was fabulous! I have used it off and on up to as recently as a couple of weeks ago she is 3.5 and still under 30 pounds.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• that's not good for you. you're not supposed to carry more that 10% of your body weight on your back because you can do serious and permanent damage. so in my case it would not be safe for me to carry more than 10.4 lbs because that's 10% of my body weight so i could not carry my 10 month old on my back. my husband could though because he can safely carry 20 lbs on his back
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I dont but only because its not comfy for me and they hated it.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 6:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I wear my infant, but I can't wear my toddler or preschoolers because they are way to heavy for me and my back is really bad. I have a sling and a snugli baby carrier. I liked the sling when he was smaller, but now that he wants to be up and looking around all the time, I love the snugli.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I was told that 10% refers to carrying on the front, but 30% of your body weight can be carried on your back.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Thanks for the tip on back safety Momofone725.
    I weigh 170lbs and my 16month old is 17lbs. So I guess I am about to reach my limit...I will have to talk my doctor and see what she says about it. :)
    tobys.mommy

Comment by tobys.mommy (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2011