Terrified of swimming??

So last summer my 4 year old was very close to knowing how to swim without any assistiance floaties etc. Then once he went out to far and went under. Now this summer I cant get him in the water not even with a life jacket! I have tried talking to him about happened and trying to get him to put trust backinto the water as it is a big deal to me as a family we spend alot of our summer doing water activites. Have you had the same problem have any ideas on how to get my little man back into the water? Thanks for any helpful advice and your time!

Destins_Mommy

Asked by Destins_Mommy at 6:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would say let him do it when he is ready. What happened to him is very scary and it may take sometime to pass. I would just keep talking with him.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I taught 3-5 year olds how to swim for 2.5 years. Being terrified of the water is more common than you would think. In some ways it's healthy, in many more ways it's very frustrating.

My best suggestion is to find a pool with a zero entry area and let him build his confidence. If not a pool then a lake with some shallow areas. I'd also suggest swim lessons to help him. Peer pressure could do a lot to help him. Just by him being near kids his size/age that aren't afraid he may get over HIS fear.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2011