2 yr dd stopped taking naps, WTF?!

she has always been on a schedule for the most part. It's not extremely strict but it was a good plan out of tune to eat and sleep. She use to take naps at 12:30-1pm and last about 2 hrs. Now she won't sleep at nap time regardless what I do. I leave her in there (in her crib) for about two hrs and 9 times out of 10 she will whine and not sleep. I don't know what to do anymore. I have a medical condition that effects me tremendously and I absolutely need to nap myself during the day and the only way I can is if she does. I've read her books, sang to her, play music lightly in her room. Everything! Why did it suddenly change? She naps seldomly now and I KNOW she is tired but she won't sleep

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 6:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Even if she's not sleeping, she's in her room! You need the rest and she needs the down time. Until my kids went to kindergarten, I'd have them in their bed for 45 minutes each day. It was just called rest time. If they slept, fine. If not it was quiet time for all of us. As they got older, they'd take books into their bed. Even if you didn't have a medical condition you should always have a little time of quiet! Many moms don't do this, but I always did and thought it was important for all of us. I'd make myself lie down on the couch and either close my eyes and rest or just page through a magazine. You especially need the time! Your daughter may be just going through a stage of not sleeping and then start napping again but if she doesn't , rest time is good for all!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 8:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My two gave up their naps at age 2. It was quite an adjustment but eventually they all give up their naps sooner or later. If she is relatively happy in there make it a quiet time for her. Add a couple of toys maybe??
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• welcome to my world
    i remember crying (in a joking way) when she went from two naps to one
    then zero naps at same age

some times in afternoon she will ask for a car ride, i know she needs sleep then, and she will pass out in the car, but only in the car and not much you can get done (except waste fuel) when driving around

but no worries, your child will sleep again, wait ten plus years, as a teen you will not be able to wake them -lol

i am in same boat
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• This is normal. Se's growing up. It may such for your day but you really have no choice in the matter. Just make sure that she's making up for it at night.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My daughter stopped taking naps by the age of 1 and a half. The only way she would take naps is if she was sick. I was not ready for nap time to stop so I started putting her in her room at nap time and called it quiet time instead. Basically I put a baby gate in her door way and locked her in there with some toys for like an hour maybe 2 if she was not fussing. If you do this you have to make sure that the room is completely baby safe. But you said you still put her in a crib so it should be alright. You could also try putting her to bed a little earlier than she usually goes now. This way she isnt as cranky during the day and she might even sleep in most days because of having no naps.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2011