What signs should I look for that my 11 mo. old's cold is going into something worse, like pneumonia?

My LO was acting very listless, stopped eating as much that evening and had a temp of 99.8 four days ago. The next 2 days she seemed back to normal but kept putting her hand up to one ear....so I took her to the Dr. scared of an ear infection. He checked her out...she was still running a temp of 99.1, but clear otherwise for ear infection and strep as well. That was yesterday, today however, she woke up with a horrible wet cough and now has a runny nose with some added fussing. I don't want to run her to the Dr. every day because they really acted like they wouldn't do anything but charge me unless she developed a high temp or a rash. The cough is what worries me and any lung infection so what should I be looking for?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When babies get colds/viruses they seem to last forever (7-14 days). There are some things you can do to relieve her symptoms.You can run a hot shower and sit in the bathroom steam with her.Buy baby vix vapor rub for her little chest.You can get a nose saline called "little noses" to offer some relief to her nose and if its chapped from all the wiping and runniness, put a little aquaphor or vaseline on it several times a day and before bed at night. If she doesnt sleep with a pillow, put a couple under the top part of her matress to elevate her at night so the wetness isnt just sitting on her lungs.
    Hold your ear to her back and listen to her breathing, if her lungs were wet you would be able to here some rattling & maybe some wheezing going on. If there was pnumonia..there would be a temp of 103 or higher.
    My 2 year old had pneumonia a couple months ago.
    Hope she feels better soon.Give it a few days.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• thanks! that was really helpful! I have done all of the above but the vaseline....good tip. Oh, and I need to elevate her matress. She does have some rattling and a stuffy nose now :( Temp is still ok. Not excited that it will last forever....she doesn't sleep well healthy. Guess we will both have a few sleepless nights even more than usual.
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011