Benadryl for a cold in an 11 mo. old?

The pharmacist today when I was asking about cough remedies for my 11 mo. old that were not OTC meds basically told me that the only thing that would help a cough caused by drainage was an antihistamine like children's Benadryl to dry up the mucus. I was unaware that that is what Benadryl did....I though it was a histamine blocker. I'm confused and also want to know if this will help her cough and runny nose :)

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not give an 11 month old baby anything otc unless suggested to me by a doctor.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• U need to take a child under 2 to a doctor first. It even says that I am shocked the pharmacist did not tell u that! Use a humidifier in the childs room to help. A doctor would say the same thing!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i dont think you are supposed to use that on a child that young.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• When it comes to medications, I would trust the pharmacist over the MD.. The terms the pharmacist used and your term "blocker" are the same.. If you are still unsure, call your ped and ask..

Antihistamines are medications that block the symptoms that are caused by the H1 receptors. The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine reports that diphenhydramine is one of the most commonly used antihistamines used to block histamines reactions.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My nurse practitioner suggests Benedryl at night for my one year old when she has a runny nose- in order to help prevent ear infections from fluid staying in the ears.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My son's ped recommended benadryl for him when he was around that age for a cold to help him sleep at night. The dosage was based on weight though, so you would have to call your ped to get the right amount.

Answer by missanc at 8:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I did find out the right dosage :)
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Siren...you also posted about leaking breastmilk. Wanna know THE BEST decongestant on the planet? Your breasts are still making it!

Try hand expressing a bit of that in a cup. Use a syringe to drop it in baby's nose. Et voila! Nose is clear. I know, sounds crazy.... BUT IT WORKS!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• my baby has been like a faucet the past few days and coughing bad hes starting to get over from like a week and half..I took him to the dr and his pedi said it will clear up by itself..we did saline drops,steamy shower,humidifier,vicks at night..I have given him benadryll before but it was for a rash..never heard of it for coughs and runny nose
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• my little guy is 11 months too
    socalikim