Restarting

We just moved to Kentucky, my son was sleeping in his crib before we moved here, well during the unpacking there was a couple pieces broke on his crib, so he was stuck in bed with my hubby and I till we got him his new bed. Well we got his bed over the weekend, and well I put the baby gate up in his room that way at night he's not running throughout the house and i can't stand the fact of shutting his bedroom door. Well he'll stand at the gate and scream his head off and well we figure just let him do it for a little while and it'll stop, well he started crying hard enough to crap himself, well i change and my hubby just gives up b/c he works all week and puts him in bed with us. So any advice on getting my son to sleep better by himself and by the way he's 20months

Heather_Missour

Asked by Heather_Missour at 3:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter started doing this about that age. She learned to climb out of her crib so we had to get her a bed. At the time I was going to college full time and working so I HAD to get some sleep. She would scream at the baby gate and I would just go out there and tell her it was time to go to sleep. I had to do this a few times each night but she eventually wouldjust go to sleep. She knew she was supposed to sleep and she would just fall asleep on the floor and I would ove her to her bed. This will pass but you can't give in to him. He has to know it is time to sleep. A little tough love will het him back into the routine.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 4:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• He might be partly upset by the fact that you just moved and he's not sure about it yet. My nephew is doing pretty much the same thing right now. I would try setting up a bedtime routine that you follow every night, like bath, story, bed, whatever works for you, and stick with it. It might take some time, but hopefully he'll get used to the idea of being in his own room. You could also try staying in the room with him for a little while as he's going to sleep, and just making that time shorter each night. Good Luck!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 3:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Unless you want him in your bed, you can't give in now. By his age he should be able to self-comfort, but why should he when screaming gives him what he wants. Don't give in, it'll be hard for a few nights, but worth it in the end.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 5:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• He probably has no idea what is going on--he's in a new house, new bed, and all he wants is his parents. I would try putting his bed in your bedroom until he's comfortable with that. Then try moving it out.
    LsMamaL

Answer by LsMamaL at 9:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008