May have to move in with MIL! HELP!!!

I don't know what to do! We are in a financial CRISIS and we may have to either move in with my MIL or rent. The problem is that we have BAD credit and most places won't rent to us. Needless to say, I don't want to move in with my MIL b/c of all the lovely things most MIL's do and/or say. I would rather rent something (she will help us w/ the $) but I'm not sure we can find a place where they will allow her to rent it for us. What would you do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Money & Work

• Now, if everyone kept the idea of living with their MIL in mind, they might not let their credit go bad.....
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• That was really rude. The reason our credit is bad is b/c we have a child with cancer (which is in remission). I left work to be with her and DH wasn't bringing in enough money to pay all of our bills. Try to not be so judgemental next time you answer someone's question. Be thankful that you're not in this situation.
    Anonymous

• It might be a rude answer, but have you seen the sheer number of questions posted that are based on bad choices? It's just as frustrating to read them as it is to get rude answers.

You have no idea if me or any other reader has been in your shoes, so please don't judge when you are asking others not to.

Sorry you're in a tough spot right now. Hope your child's cancer stays in remission.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Medical bills DO NOT count on your credit worthiness. You can pay the medical bills $1 dollar a month and there is NOTHING they can do to you legally cause you are making an effort to pay.  Speak to a lawyer if you doubt me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• If possible, have your MIL co-sign on a rental space. I would ask her to do this first, so you can attempt to rebuild your own credit. Make her feel like you want to help yourselves before you rely on her for room and board. That way if you have to move in with her, it is a last resort, and you have tried to help yourselves first. Good Luck!!!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 12:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I would sell everything that I had, that was worth any value, except the bare necessities, if even to get caught up and or to sustain before I had to go and live with my MIL.
    I get that you are in a tough situation.
    Right now so many people are.
    We are going through a tough situation too with $$$$.
    But, I am hopeful and I have looked around my house and decided that we don't need most of the stuff we have, we can do without it. Later today, b/c it is already Sat. I am organizing it all, taking pictures and putting up in the net so I can sell it.
    It won't solve everything, but it is a start. My mom, sister and brother are also looking at their places to see what they have and don't need to donate to the cause.
    Good luck!
    noir

Answer by noir at 4:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• 1. She is offering to help. Stop bad-mouthing her.
    2. There are good things about moving in with her for the time being. You can save up $ so you can later rent in a nicer place than if you rented right now, have her help possibly babysitting or feeding the kids, they'll get to know Grandma better, you can see ways that you can help HER, you can declutter your home as you have to get rid of things and pack it all up.
    3. I know this is the last thing you want to do but it could be worse.
    4. Like NOIR said, sell everything you have to raise money. Have yard sales, use eBay, consignment shops...
    5. Stop grocery shopping. Use those last cans in the back of the pantry, use up all the toilet paper (then use tissues), let those things go. In a crisis, try not to spend.

Hope yall find a place to stay soon. Very sorry about your child who has had cancer :0(
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I don't know if medical bills count on credit but the 1 dollar a month thing isn't always true. We got behind to our local hospital and they tried to demand a certain amount (more than we could pay) a month and refused to take the 50.00 a month I offered. I even sent them a 10.00 check and they mailed it back to me. I talked to two different lawyers and they said there was nothing I could do about it. They ended up sueing us for nonpayment cause they wouldn't take the amount I offered and they got it. They hit our account and garnished hubby's checks.
    countrymom

Answer by countrymom at 7:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2008