In home Babysitter vent.At home Babysitters, does this happen to you too,if so what do you do or say about it?

Me? I smile, nod and sweetly say "Oh,its ok" and on the inside I'm thinking:

" HOW RUDE! You tell me you will be here at 7 a.m. with your child. I get up at 5:30 in the morning when I usually don't get up until 7. My sleep is deprived as it is because I have children of my own that I get up with through the night.But I know you need me, so I gladly get up to be ready for you and your child.
7 a.m. gets here, I unlock my door, look down the street and see no cars. Okay, your a few minutes late, no big deal.7:15,7:30,7:45 roll on by. Your still not here! So I send you a message asking if you had said 7 or did I misunderstand? 2 more hours roll by. You send finally send me a message to tell me oh, I decided not to go in to work today,sorry should have told ya yesturday."

UGH! This irritates me to no end! I just try to picture myself being in their shoes and no matter which way I look at it..I just can't see myself doing that to someone. I would call as soon as I possibly could...especially if I knew the night before that I wasn't going to show up! I mean, come on! I could have slept another hour or so. I'm so tired I have dark circles under my eyes. I care about this family, why can't they care enough about me and mine? I am not a servant. I am a person that cares for your child, I am devoted to making sure I am here for you in a pinch when you need me yet, I get treated like garbage!And it never ceases to amaze me..but this isnt the only family I've worked with that does this and acts so nonchalant about it.
What do you say? What do you do? How do I handle this???
Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• you're so right - that is extremely rude! I used to have babysitters who came to my house to care for my kids while I worked, and there were times I'd get angry that they were late or whatever, but I was always courteous and understood that they had lives and children of their own etc. So my anger was NEVER directed at them, but rather at the situation that made me late for work. They were wonderful ladies and I thank them in my heart for the wonderful job they did, every time I admire my kids, because part of who they are is thanks to those baby-sitters who cared for them during the day and taught them things, including a wonderful outlook on life.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Do you have a written contract? If you don't you need one, and as soon as possible. Outline your hours, cost, LATE fees, no calls no shows. Except in an emergency ,notice they are not is non negotiable. You are running a business. You need to be compensated.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Rude and very inconsiderate!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Very rude, if it were any daycare they would charge her a fee!
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Rude & selfish. This doesn't apply to all working moms, so please don't think I'm talking to you if this isn't you, but there are many who think "Well she's home with kids anyway..."

Aghhh! Makes me nuts. So sorry you're having to deal with such a rude & inconsiderate person.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• its completely inconsiderate of her, and you definently need to talk to her about this, explain that you both have to have a mutual respect for eachother and eachothers time or this arrangement is not going to work out, and that this includes contacting you when things come up where she doesnt need your services esp when she knows in advance, I also agree that you should write up a written contract, if the child was in daycare and was a no show with no call she would more than likely be charged the whole day.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Sorry, that was very rude. I know exactly where you are coming from. Until recently I was watching two kids full time, Mom is going to school and working part time. Well she is off for the summer, so I am just watching them while she works. I was having to text her everyday to see if she needed me. I finally had to get ugly and told her I watched her work schedule as soon as she got it.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• As a client, I would expect to pay you for any time that I've arranged for you to be working for me, regardless of whether or not I used your services.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Rude and selfish and self-centered. Sorry that's happened to you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• This happens to the woman who watches my son a lot (not by me). The other little boy she watches is dropped off at 6:30, Too many days when i drop my son off, I ask about the other LO and she says "No, I got up at 5:30 for no reason". I feel bad for her. One time a whole week went by with out he child being dropped off and the family did not call or return the phone calls that the sitter made to find out what was going one. Then one day she gets a phone call at 6:35 asking why she isn't answering the door. She told the woman she was sleeping because she didn't know they were coming. I'm keeping an eye on this thread to get ideas for her.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2011