How does living off the land sound?

Any others long to live off the land and become as self sufficient as possible in this day and age? It's becoming a bigger trend with many families. Are you one of them?

Ruthmom802

Asked by Ruthmom802 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• We are working our way up to living off the land. We have a huge garden and chickens for eggs and meat. My DH is a hunter, and we are looking in to solar energy in the near future. We also have 2 donkeys and are about to get a horse- that way if we need to get somewhere and the car is not working, we can still go. The donkeys are being trained as pack and plow animals, and pets of course. lol I can things, and we are always looking for more ways to be self sufficient.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Once we move back to the states we want to grow our own garden, saves money as well as healthier! And we are hunters. I don't think I could 100% live off the land but I would get what I could if I had to resouces!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'm working on it as we speak. Started my own chickens, pigs and rabbits, although of course we had to throw in the horses and donkey. Everyday I work on it more and more. Depend on the government....not me!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Yes, I would love to. I think about it often. Have a homestead, hunt, fish, farm, raise cows, goats, chickens, pigs.... I would love it....
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 9:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think it's an awesome idea! Unfortunately with our money situation it will be a long time until we can afford some land. :S
    It's my dream to live in an eco house with a big garden!
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• sounds good but that would be too much physical work for me.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We have a big veggie garden, but that's just in the summer months, can't grow anything in the winter... we're looking into possibly getting chickens for eggs next year, but as far as killing anything, neither one of us could or would do that.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Hi, ILoveCade: Where do you call home now?
    Ruthmom802

Comment by Ruthmom802 (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We garden and grow as much as possible in the summer. We can, make salsas, sauces, jams with what we grown. And we are hoping to have enough to donate to food banks this year. We make butter and fresh cheeses too.

We have learned how to "harvest" our own chickens and worked with someone so they were done in a strictly kosher manner. It was exhausting, amazing and traumatic. I am still recovering from it.

My cousins are living off the land in New Zealand. Their blogs are very interesting to say the least.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Living off the land? Would that be without electricity and running water and only firewood for heat and cooking? Washing clothes in a creek or the river? Killing and or catching your own meat and planting, growing and tending a garden? I'm exhausted just thinking about it so my answer would be NO..not unless that was my only option.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011