What is with teenage girls theese days?

My sister is 14 acts older knows more about sex and everything then I did at that age and says even thoug she is not ready to have sex..she wants to wait till she is in highschool...she doesn;t see it as a big deal that she won't be with the guy forever anyways...she said she's not going to just sleep around though...also her friends post pics of themselves in there bra and undies...my question is where are the parents?? I know people work but geex..my kid will not have access to a computer or anything and I will have someone to watch her..that's nuts!!!! I don;t blame the parents at all I blame the world really..i'm sure these girls parents don;t know their DD are posting half nude pics of them sleves!!!

happymama02

Asked by happymama02 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Good for your stand on the issue, but realize there are a lot of parents that think this is ok these days. Sex is natural and they think their kids should just have sex and post those pics. It's a shame.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I do blame the parents partly. You have to teach your children what is right or wrong (though some kids will rebel anyway). When I was in HS all the kids were drinking and partying. My parents taught me self control, I never drank in school, have never done a drug in my life. I think kids need to be taught a lot better then what they are! But like you said, society obviously doesn't help. As much as you want to teach your kids they will always have that background noise from society, so your voice, as a parent, needs to be louder! Figureitively not literally, lol.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Parents dont teach kids about self respect anymore. Its sad! My mother use to tell me"if you have it flaunt it" @ 14 I was wearing short shorts and tube tops! Its was terrible! My daughters will never be aloud to do such things!
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 8:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Why wouldn't you blame the parents? It is not the worlds responsibility to police every computer that has an under age user to make sure they behave themselves. It is the parents' fault. If they do not know what their child is doing with a computer or a smart phone it is on them and the child.

My 13 yr old has a computer. I required it to stay in a common area and have all of his pass words. The same goes for the family computer and you can bet that I breathe down their necks when they are on the web.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My daughter is 14 and has a computer, cellphone, and cable tv in her room. I have all the passwords and stuff to her computer stuff, I am her friend on facebook. I monitor everything. The only shows she watches on cable is Nick or the Disney channel. She has never kissed a boy and has no plans on sex in highschool. I have to say, I'm doing a damn good job.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You know, this isn't going to be a very popular post, but I'm going to say it anyways. By the time I was 14, I was sexually active, and had been for a few years. And no, I don't think sex is a big deal as long as you're doing it because YOU want to and not just to make someone else happy or to be popular. And as for the "half naked" statement, what's the diff between being in a bra & panties and wearing a two piece swim suit to swim class? It's been over a decade since I was that age, and she doesn't sound like she and her friends are any different than me and my friends were... And seeing how my friends and I are all happily married mothers with wonderful carriers and active civil commitments... I don't see how any of it did us any harm in the long run. You only get to be young for a short time - enjoy it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• several of her friends have front FB pages...one their parents know about and 1 that is for their personal use..so to speak...you can make an e-mail account through yahoo and stuff to make a diff. page and that is what these girl are doing,,,,they rate eachother...my mom was a horrible role model for me she was a drug user and in an out of my life the only thing I did was pot and i dindt have sex until I wa 18 sooo I think you can only teach your kids so much until there comes a day they will cave to peer pressure ot they won;t
    happymama02

Comment by happymama02 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• are you going to tell the parents what these kids are up to?
    from what I've heard, when a minor sends a picture like that they can be charged with child pornography.
    Anonymous

• the diff. is the way she was posing...and i agree with my sister no sence in having sex because the guy says he loves you becasue chances are he doesn't but if your ready your ready. but I also think with posting pics like that and rating eachother and what not it can ruin a girls rep and even self esteem if she doesnt get the rating she was hopeing for and guys will have no respect for her...how can they when they see her as a sex object...I know most will grow up just fine but thats not always the case with every girl and to view it as okay is you right I guess.
    happymama02

Comment by happymama02 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It is NOT "girls these days"!!! My daughters are 13 and 16 and wouldn't be seen dead in public even in a tube top. No way they would "flaunt" themselves like that, though they are both beautiful. Parents teach kids to respect themselves and each other... or not to... and these girls obviously have no self-respect and are in a cycle of bullsh*t that is in no way a "society" thing. It's their parents' fault. No question.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2011