Who taught you to cook?

Who taught you to cook?
I learned by helping my mom in the kitchen and then buying cookbooks as I got older. My husband's mother DOES NOT COOK! He only ate things from cans and boxes. I have no idea how he survived on canned pasta and cereal! As a result he and his sister can't even boil water.
Did you teach yourself to cook or did someone teach you?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 8:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My mom, my grandma, my xh and hours and hours and hours of food network, lol. I love to cook.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Several people over the course of my life. My mom, school, my landlord's wife when I lived in Italy, a filipino nanny, and I figured out a lot of basics and did a lot of trial and error.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My mom messes up mac and cheese, lol. But I would say my dad and my grandma (dads mom) plus watching food network, cookbooks and trial and error.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Nobody. I cant cook :(
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 8:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• pretty much taught myself. My mom taught me a few dishes, but over the years her cooking has become inedible.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I pretty much taught myself. My Grandmother was the cook of the family and you could watch her and stir but not really do anything in the cooking process. Then my Mother hates to cook so she did not do anything elaborate. So when I got older I would do things myself and have just learned as I went.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My husband's mother couldn't cook and didn't have time, so he taught himself to do it when he was like 10 years old. He's an amazing cook, and does our family meal most every night, so I really don't have to cook! My Dad and I taught ourselves when my Mom was in hospitall for an extended period when I was 13 -14 (car accident, then hysterectomy, and other surgeries).
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• TV chefs
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My dad is an incredible cook. He cooked in the army, had a snack shop for a time, and always cooked for the family. I remember him coming to me saying" your sisters aren't interested in learning so now I am giving you a chance" Needless to say I stuck with it and I must say I am pretty good. I considered going into culiary arts though life didn't take me in that direction. My kids and SO love my cooking though.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 8:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My mom and grandmom. Their both excellent cooks.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011