Student loan consolidation?

Can I consolidate private student loans with federal? Can I include loans that are in default?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• Unless they have changed the rules, you cannot consolidate private and federal student loans together. You can consolidate all your private loans together and all your federal loans together and have them through one loan company. This is what I have done so that I still make one payment and the company splits it up between the two different types of loans. I don't know anything about default loans though.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 8:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't think you can consolidate private & federal I think you have to keep them seperate.

& I tried to consolidate my private student loans before because the payment was too high and it was in default and no company would. I ended up doing a 12 month hardship program where I paid half of my normal monthly payment but now the 12 mths ran out and they only that ONE time throughout the entire life of my loan so I did a 2 month forebarence. No idea what I'm going to do next.! Good Luck!
    Februarymom2009

Answer by Februarymom2009 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011