What are signs of the baby moving into the birth canal?

I am about 36 & 1/2 weeks and I don't really have any contractions right now and as of Monday I was dilated to a 1. When I saw the dr Monday, she told me it could be anywhere from any day now (since my mother delivered all 4 of us early) to a few weeks. The baby is normally very active and was even this morning but her movement pattern has altered and I was wondering what some signs of the baby moving into the birth canal are? Can anyone help me?

ashley1208

Asked by ashley1208 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i had a lot more pressure but that was also when i was dialated to 5 or 6...
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• When I stood or walked, it felt sort of like a watermelon was about to fall out of my crotch.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Thank you. I have quite a bit of pressure now and I'm just curious. What about movements? Did the baby's movements slow down quite a bit?
    ashley1208

Answer by ashley1208 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Not really, no.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Actually, the baby doesn't move into the birth canal until it's through the cervix, if your baby was in your birth canal, you'd see your baby's head!
    You baby may have dropped lower into your pelvis and symptoms are feeling pressure down there, peeing a lot more, having trouble walking. With my first, I actually never felt anything when he dropped, although you could see it in my bump pics. Some people don't feel anything at all when they drop.
    Just make sure if your baby stops moving you call your doc, but a decrease in movement towards the end of your pregnancy is pretty much normal because of lack of space in there.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Thank you all!!
    ashley1208

Answer by ashley1208 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My girl just dropped a few days ago, and I have to agree with what Paesana82 said about it. It's a LOT of pressure down between my hip bones and it literally feels like she's trying to press out through my cervix (LOL) and there's a lot of pressure through my vagina from it. I'm actually having trouble now bending over at the hip because she's right there! Sometimes I can feel her head hitting my pubic bone when I walk....PAINFUL!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I feel that too...and it's a chore just to move sometimes...and I'm really not even that big!! I'm just really nervous about it all because I'm not with the baby's daddy and my parents are out of town and I really don't want her to come when they are gone!
    ashley1208

Answer by ashley1208 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Twice this morning it hurt too bad to even go pee. I couldn't bend forward to sit on the toilet because it hurt wayyyy too bad, so I had to literally lean backwards and prop myself up on the sink just to get down on the toilet. HAHA, it had to look ridiculous, but what can a girl do?

Will your parents be back in town before you're due? Do you have any friends that live close-by? If you think you'll go into labor early, just call a couple of friends and see if they would be willing to take you to L&D if you go into labor before your parents get back. We can't really choose when the baby comes, ya know? Good luck though!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2008