"ring of fire"?

i keep hearing that term on the baby shows i watch and on here, i was wondering what it was...is it your body stretching out to fit the babies head?

i have asked my OB about it all she said was its the same thing as if i stretched out my ears to a bigger size (yes my ears are stretched lol that's probably why she said it like that)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes they call it a ring of fire because when the head is coming it burns really bad!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• it's referred to the feeling some women describe when they baby's head is moving through the pelvis. not all women feel it, but i know i sure did even with my epidural.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• they=the
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• its funny the reference my OB gave me made me not afraid of feeling that XD
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It happened to me with my first baby. I did have an epi with her. It quite literally felt like there was a ring of fire around the babies head. It was from stretching.

I did not have it with my son.
    Anonymous

• I've never heard of the stretching referred as the "ring of fire" before. I did feel the stretching with all 3 of my children, but it was mostly intense pressure then it was over.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 9:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• yeah. the ring is the 10cm hole that your baby is coming out of. the fire is the burning Burning BURNING sensation that you feel when babys head and shoulders are being delivered. It is painful for a few moments and then instant relief once the baby is delivered. You can't really describe it, but once you feel it- you know it!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I felt it during my non medicated birth. It tingled like a chemical burn a little. I suddenly knew what everyone was talking about when I felt it.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• It hurts. I never felt much of a difference in the pain until his shoulders came out. That was by far the worst.
    Oh and Tmn, I didn't mean to vote you down! I meant to vote your first answer up. Sorry!!
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• tnm*
    acurran88