Snake prevention?

We live in the country -- I already use snake away (granules) and put out moth balls (ole wives tale) -- What do you use?
Haven't seen a snake this year in our yard, but one was very very close!

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• This reminded me of a story that a friend of mine told me. She used to live in Taiwan. The house they rented came with a dog. One day, one of her english speaking neighbors came over and asked why the dog was in the house. My friend replied that it was raining outside. The neighbor then told her that the reason the dog came with the house was to protect the family from snakes. The dog stayed outside from then one, but they made a nice bed for her on the porch.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Two basset hounds.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• lol -- so you suggest a dog? I would really prefer something that didn't add up to more work for ME!
    Thanks for the story!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'd rather have a couple of snakes in my yard (we are lucky to have all non-poisonous ones) than the rats and mice if they weren't there.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• we don't do anything. We also live out in the country. We just let them be if they are on our property. Thankfully they haven't been around the house. last year we had a 4 ft rat snake in the back near the woods. Our then 8 year old found it, he knows to stay away from them.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 9:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Hey, a dog worked for them. One time when the kids were out the dog actually herded the kids away from a snake, then the dog went after the snake.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Geese! They eat snakes :) Also, there's a type of gourd that is supposed to keep snakes away- not sure how true that is, though.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Do you have railroad ties or anything like that in your yard, for lining flower beds, or anything of the sort? Get rid of them. Rocky areas, same. Those are the culprits here :S
    Anonymous

• layh -- love the dog suggestions, but my luck with dogs .... is doubtful!
    Thanks for the tips everyone!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2011