Should I take him to the ER?

My 13 month old has been throwing up...cant keep anyhting down and now has diareah all day today..my SO's kids had this a few days ago but with him being so young should I take him to the ER?

happymama02

Asked by happymama02 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How is his temp? I say if you think that it is a good idea to take him then do it.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Call your pediatrician. Follow his/her instructions.

Hope your little one feels better soon! (my oldest had a couple of rounds of a similar thing last month.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Is he still having wet diapers?

The issue is keeping him hydrated. Make sure you are pushing fluids. If he goes more than 8 hours without a wet diaper, take him in.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• he doesnt have one I'm just worried about dehydration
    happymama02

Comment by happymama02 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Fever and lethargy are reasons to take anyone to the ER.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• IMO not unless he has a fever over 103.5 that will not come down with meds (or can't keep meds down long enough to) or is he seems dehydrated. (not enough diapers, no tears when crying, dry patches on lips, sunken eyes)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You should be able to call your docs office and have the on-call doc call you back. They should be able to tell you.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• When worried about hydration instead of giving a glass of liquids,,, I give a tablespoon every 5 minutes... kids tend to keep it down better than trying to get them to drink.

If there is no temp, keep him hydrated, watch for lethargy and make sure diapers are still wet.... contact your DR or urgent care for an appointment
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Dehydration is a real issue. Keep an eye on how many wet diapers he has. If he goes three hours without a wet diaper, is lethargic or does not produce tears when he cries. Another sign of dehydration is the eyes will look sunken and the 'soft spot' on his head will look sunken in. Also, if you press a finger to his skin it will stay white for a bit instead of going right to the normal color.

My son was very ill and wound up dehydrated--he needed an IV. Please, keep a very close eye on your little one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• try to get him to sip on pedialite, even if he throws it up, he will get some fluids absorbed. nothing they can really do at the er, they will probably look at him, charge you $1000, and send him home.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 9:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011