WHY do my children NOT sleep!?

It is 9:20 and they are both STILL awake... and will be for the next 30-60 min! Yes we have a bed time routine, no they don't share a room, no there is no nightlights, yes I leave the door cracked, yes I walk them back to bed every time they get up, no they do not nap, yes they have the same bed time every night, no caffeine or sugar after 3 pm if they get it at all, no I don't think it is to early. (It is 7:30 but they are up in the mornings at 7 regardless of when they go to sleep) They are 'tired' all day long and then don't sleep at night! What can I do beside constantly put them back in bed or tell them to quiet down and go to sleep! They are 3 and 7.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• put them to bed earlier so they actually fall asleep on time? or just close their doors...lol idk. when my kids did/do this, they just take a longer nap the next day, or go to bed earlier
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• They never nap or go to bed earlier they just stay tired all day and then still won't sleep...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have the same problem not so much my 6 year old because she loves school and sometimes can't wait to go to bed to go to school in the mornings lol. The only time I have problems with her is is we have people over and they are supose to be in bed. My 3 year old is what I have a problem with she stopped taking naps at 2 on her own. She also gets up same time ever day between 7 and 730. I let her watch tv along with her sister from 8-830 then it is bedtime. As soon as I tuck her in she is down stairs asking for something to eat or something to drink or a kiss or whatever. I am lucky if I get her to bed before 10. She wont nap during the day either. Now that I am expecting our 3rd baby her and her sister share a room, but she did this even when she had her own room. I have tried everything as well and nothing works.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• ok well then sit on them until they fall asleep...lol i'm KIDDING....make them take a rest instead of a nap. my son is 4 and hates naps, so we call it a rest time. he goes in his room and can play very quietly while his little sister naps. sometimes he falls asleep, sometimes he doesn't. depends on how tired he is. i don't really force him to lay down, he just crawls in the bed and falls asleep if he wants.

have you tried time outs? if they get out of their beds they get a time out...do it in their room though, it's a treat to do time outs outside of their room, because that's where they dont' want to be. i learned that trick quick lol. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Maybe they are over tired? Are they super cranky before bed?
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• maybe they need to be able to have a movie to calm them down and tell them when its over thats it no more tv and they need go to bed and if not they wont be able to do this again. I some times find that when I saw the kids getting like your when its bed time I would let them put on a movie you know a kids movie and it calmed them down and most of the time one kid or all of them fell asleep before the movie was even over lol.. So maybe it might help but I cant tell you to change your rules with the kids only give you some ideas.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• have you tried closing the door, esp for the 3 year old, put a child lock thing on it and leave him or her in there so they cant come out, my 3.5 year old doesnt nap so most nights I put her in bed at 6.30-7 she doesnt always fall straight to sleep but she knows once she goes in there that there is no coming out.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• not really. In fact DD was falling asleep on the couch tonight when I said it was time to go brush teeth. she did and went into her room good then was at the opening her door shinning a flash light into the hall. I took it away and out her back to bed and shut the door. She cried then got up again. DS has gotten up 5 times. 2 times to go potty, 1 time for a drink, 1 time to say he had a nightmare(he was never asleep to have one! lol) and 1 time to ask if daddy was working tomorrow! UGH!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• butterflies we do have about 40 min of wind down on the couch and watch a show or 2 on netflix. Ususlaly DS and DD each pick one. Tonight it was Yo Gabba and Rugrats.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It sounds to me like they are taking advantage of you letting them get away with this stuff. Pee once. Drink some water and then don't get out of bed again.
    If they already peed, they aren't gonna pee again.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2011