Question for those that own a home based direct sellers business.

I know not every person who owns that type of business does this, but those that do, you know who you are. Why is it that when someone comes here to the answers section and asks about a specific home based company, you feel the need to tell them about your business? I could understand if they asked about home based businesses in general, but when they ask about a specific business and you give them your sales pitch, it's kind of rude, don't you think?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 10:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• I try not to do that actually. I've done many home businesses in the past, in addition to the one I have now, and am always willing to give an honest opinion on those businesses which I do have experience with. But I do not usually go further than to say I'm still doing Direct Sales, unless I'm asked.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• How is it rude? I have done this but not necessarily a sales pitch but if the question isn't clear then thats not my problem. If you ask about a specific home based business then hopefully someone can answer you on that. Either way you open yourself up for someone just to say what they do. There is nothing wrong wtih that. Now, if they put out a long letter stating all the facts and so forth than that is different but still, it is their right. You don't have to be interested in it at all
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I always try to answer the question...if they are asking about a specific company, I take that as a clue to head on out unless I have had friends with that company and so forth. I network with a lot of people so I am familiar with a lot of companies and how people have done with them, struggles and so forth.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 11:30 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I don't answer unless the question is directed at the company there looking to become a rep at.
    extremelibrary

Answer by extremelibrary at 10:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It's rude because they are asking about a specific company- not your company. If you respond with your business info then you are not answering their question, you are spamming them with your business. Like I said before, if they ask about home businesses in general, feel free to share. But as a business professional, have some tack and don't be rude when they want to know about a specific company.
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Free advertising.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 3:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2011