HELP!!! WHAT DO I DO?

MY BEAGLES FOUND AN INJURED BIRD ON THE GROUND IN OUR YARD!! THEY DID NOT HURT IT,THEY ONLY BARK ED AT IT!! IT LOOKS LIKE A PARROT,WHAT DO I DO WITH IT? I DON'T WANT TO TOUCH ITIN CASE IT HAS SOME DISEASE.

dancer

Asked by dancer at 10:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pets

• Unless you live in the tropics, it is someone's pet. Either it got loose or it was turned loose. You can pick it up without fear of catching a disease, but you should be careful because any injured animal is scared, in pain, and likely to lash out more because it feels threatened. If the bird is large, use a towel instead of a washcloth and take it inside in a dark, quiet room with no pets or children.

Get a box ~ or preferably a rubbermaid tote ready before you go pick it up. Put some newspaper on the bottom, and a ceramic or other heavy bowl with water in it. Feeding it isn't a priority. Stabilizing it from shock, fear, and dehydration IS. If it has bloody wounds that are just oozing, leave them be until you contact a vet.

In the morning, provided the bird makes it through the night, contact local vets and check your missing pets section of the paper. Most people look for their birds due to the costs.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Can you call Animal Control or a local pet hospital? If it is an exotic animal then perhaps they will come and take it. It may be somebody's pet.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 10:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• See if they have a bird rescue in your area that can come get it. Call around to some vets see if they know of anywhere to take it too.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• If it's a parrot, then it's probably someone's pet. Pick it up with a light colored washcloth (my bird was scared of dark colors), and put it in a box until you find somewhere that can take it. I'm sure your local vet will be able to recommend some place that can help.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• look to see if thers a posted not for it if so return it
    scaryspider

Answer by scaryspider at 12:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011