WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU BREAK YOUR LEAST?

I JUST MOVED IN TX AND CURRENTLY STAYING IN AND APARTMENT COMPLEX AND WE REALIZE THIS IS NOT WHAT WE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE. SO WE THINKING ABOUT MOVING BUT IS SCARED TO BREAK THE LEAST IS THERE ANYWAY TO GET OUT OF THIS APARTMENT?

mystery8307

Asked by mystery8307 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• lease?
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• u can break it, but it will affect ur credit and rental history and no other apt will take second chance leasing, or if they do, they will ask for first months rent and a deposit that usually goes up to 500. i should know, im a manager for some apts since 09
    cataquiroz24

Answer by cataquiroz24 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I only know of two options but there may be more.... You can request a break from the lease based on whatever reason it is not what you expected though I don't think that would work... you could ask what the penalty of a broken lease is. Most places there is a hefty fee.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It's always about the money.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Your lease should have information on provisions for terminating it. Some lease agreements stipulate that you will lose your security deposit. It also won't look good on your credit history, unless you can prove that you broke the lease to to a work relocation.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Something not already mentioned is that if you break the lease you could be held responsible for paying the remaining owed on the lease OR until they re-lease it out (such as if it takes 3 months to find new tenants you can be responsible for paying the rent for those 3 months, even if you are not living there)!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• All of the above are true. I would reconsider breaking your lease. Can you stick it out?
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Depending on your reason and your method, there are a few different outcomes:

1) You said it isn't what you thought it would be. If you mean the apartment complex (and not TX in general), and the complex was misrepresented, you might be able to get a break for misrepresentation/fraud. Reread your lease, and see a lawyer if you need to do this. A lawyer will likely cost less than trying to break without.

2) Pay it off. Reread your lease (it is different in each one) and see what your penalty is to break. When I got married I had to pay two or three months rent to break. They had a waiting list, and had someone move right in, or else I could have been held responsible until they rerented.

3) You could get evicted. If you leave your lease without properly breaking it they can evict you and garnish wages to recoup rent and cost of eviction and penalties. Bad choice.

Biggest key: Reread YOUR LEASE; they are all different.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 4:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2011