HOW did you introduce nuts?

I'm soo anxious to give my twins peanutbutter but I"m going to wait until they're two. However I know it's not recommended to give peanutBUTTER until older because it can "suffocate" them. so how did you introduce nuts?

(i'm thinking about givingthem a peanut butter cookie)

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• By 2, when you're introducing peanuts, peanut butter should be fine if you don't put it on think. A thin layer will be fine.

Don't assume introducing tree nuts (like one poster suggested - cashews, et al) will be an indication of how peanuts will go. There is *no* connection between the two. People who are allergic to one, may not be to the other. In fact, people can be allergic to one particular tree nut and not others. my DD is allergic to almonds and walnuts but some of the others. We avoid them all for cross contamination risks. She's also allergic to peanuts. (My son, who is 2 years older than her, is not.)

When we were testing peanuts we started with a sandwich. We did not connect the initial clues with a reaction (it's a long story!) The end time we went with peanut butter baking chips for cookies. That reaction was clear and immediate and as such was her last exposure.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I gave my kids a very thin spread of PB on bread at about 15-18 months. There is no family history.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I just gave my kids peanut-butter sandwiches around 12-18 or so. I never heard of it "suffocating" them. But we don't have ANY history of food allergies in our family, so I was confident it was a non-issue

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• (**12-18 months that is)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I introduced other nuts before peanuts. Cashews are quite soft and can be smooshed into a pasty form that's not dry like peanut butter and you don't have the allergy problem that peanuts have. My little boy LOVED cashews right from about 10 months old.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Mr. Peanut I would like you to meet my son Trevor.
    Trevor this is Mr. Peanut.... eat him.
    Anonymous

• i put the tiniest bit of PB on my clean finger & rubbed in in her mouth (cheek). this was around a year old since we have no family history of any food allergies. when she didnt react negatively i gave her those prepackaged PB crackers.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• PB crackers sound like the best.
    Esam

Answer by Esam at 11:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i left my sandwich where she could reach it after she got good at climbing when i had to pee
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 11:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• oh crud. THICK not think. It should be fine if you don't put the peanut butter on THICK. ;)

Ok. I clearly need to go to bed. LOL!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2011