Do you feel that the older your kids get the less you want to decorate for the Holidays?

My son's are 17 and 15 and I've been decorating for Christmas for the past 4 days. I'm doing it slow because I just can't get in the mood. I'm just not into all the decorating anymore. I haven't decorated for any other holiday this year....what's up with that? The older your kids get do you find that you've lost your holiday decorating desire also?

happy2bme7

Asked by happy2bme7 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Not really, unless you might find it depressing that they are just not into it at their age. You need to put on some holiday music, bake some cookies, relax and enjoy! It's only once a year. They are not babies anymore, and they feel they are too old for the Christmas scene right now, but they will come around eventually. Cheer up! Have some spiked eggnog and enjoy!!! If I were near ya, I would say I'll come help ya decorate. I love it!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• not here either because they enjoy it as well. My 17 and 12 year old like to help me and we talk about remember when we got this or remember when they made that. They seem to enjoy it and we always make a huge stinking production out of decorating the tree...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Oh...thanks....come on over : )
    I guess I am a little saddened that my boys are getting older. They are busy with school and girlfriends and they just aren't that in to it anymore. But on a bright note ~ they did get excited about the chocolate advent calendar that they get every year. Good idea about the music, cookies and spike...minus the egg nog though...LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I have felt like a bad mom for years. I just don't get into the decorating thing... I like holidays to be relaxing. My daughter is 17 now, but last time we had a Christmas tree she was 10. But we spend Christmas at houses with trees. I have also welcomed invitations for her to color eggs with others, etc. We do fun stuff and decorate with meaningful things or seasonal things, etc., so it's not like I'm a grinch. But she didn't really seem to be traumatized by my lack of holiday spirit. lol.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• its not you dont want too maybe like me so depressed for so many reason plz pray for me ty trina
    trena_gurney

Answer by trena_gurney at 11:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Well I have a daughter that is no longer into it big time and one who still is, and I have two small boys 3 and 2 that are really into it this year so they keep me going, I also have a son who is 22 and on his own and loves it still.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i'm 24 and i have an almost 2 year old and i think it's horrible when parents stop decorating because their children are older! maybe people on the block look forward to the lights you put up and maybe your children secretly love it and maybe you just should to get in the holiday spirit!
    i'm quite upset that most of the adults in my life don't decorate anymore. lol. it stinks. but that just means our house rocks!!! lol.
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I finished decorating...Whew. I put out 1/2 the stuff that I put out every year. It was my compromise : )
    I did enjoy myself after I started..thanks for all the great advice ladies. Merry Christmas
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• john2007...it's not a contest...lol My house rocks also....especially when I'm sitting back enjoying my presents while your putting ALL your decorations away ; )
    Anonymous

• I just put away my cute Hallmark ornaments and opted for a more mature christmas tree theme. Silver and Gold with white lights. It was beautiful. I told my highschoolers that I will pull out all the cute hallmark ornaments again when they get married and have children. I have a freshman son and a senior daughter.
    tdeck

Answer by tdeck at 12:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2009