Should I say something?

There is a little girl in my neighborhood that is 4 that plays with my girls all the time and I am good friends with her mom, but I noticed she plays in the road a lot. I don't know if the mom is aware of this or not? Or if she just doesn't care. My girls know they don't play in the road, and I've only seen her playing in the road when she isn't playing with them, should I say something to the mom? I don't mean to be judgemental but 4 is way too young to be playing in the road without an adult. Is it none of my business? I don't want to be offended, but if my kids were playing in the road, I would want someone to say something.

lauralivivy

Asked by lauralivivy at 10:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you think she may not be aware of it I would say something. Maybe just say something like " hey did you notice she plays in the street from time to time? I just though I would let you know in case you weren't aware of it. I know you want her to be safe." That way she hopefully won't be offended. Not that a 4 year old should be playing out there alone anyway.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• isn't 4 a little young to not have someone watch them when they're outside at all? i mean the backyard is one thing, with a fence, check on them every now and then...but out in the open...with a road...?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Definitely say something to the mom. There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking out for the safety of a child, even if it's not your own. If you didn't say anything and something did happen, I'm sure you'd be kicking yourself!
    itsmommalori

Answer by itsmommalori at 11:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• sn't 4 a little young to not have someone watch them when they're outside at all? i mean the backyard is one thing, with a fence, check on them every now and then...but out in the open...with a road...?

We live in a townhome and share a yard. We all face eachother. My girls play outside outside all the time without me being there, but they know they are not allowed to go where I cannot see them. They know they don't ever go in the streets and they are good about it. I think my friend is just a little more relaxed than I am. I do not consider myself overprotective, but I take care of my kids.
    lauralivivy

Comment by lauralivivy (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'd definitely say something. Maybe she just doesn't realize her DD is playing in the street.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2011