How do you handle "those" parents in youth sports leagues?

How do you all handle those overzealous parents who aren't exactly breaking the rules with their behavior, but are just slightly to the left of being innappropriate?

We had one coach who actually cheated by changing his lineup mid-game... we called him on it and he had the nerve to deny it...

We had another who was so vehemently enforcing "rules" (as in MLB rules) that there was absolutely no leeway at all and he pulled out a LL rulebook several times every single game! Way to teach sportsmanship!

Then there were the Dads (and Moms!) who yelled stuff at their own kids about how bad the kid was playing!

I'm so glad Little League is over. Fall ball is not far away... And, from what I hear, our soccer league is worse! How do you all handle this stuff? We called our board of directors, who promised to respond, and didn't. Don't say the kids do not notice, the kids are the best scorekeepers, and they notice everything!!

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hello... my husband and I are the coaches for our sons 6,7, & 8 yr old baseball team. We have coached T-Ball for the past 3 years. And, prior to that we have both umpired (him baseball and me softball), and I also coached softball. We have learned that this year what works, is before the game... talk with the coach of the other team about what each team suggests doing with "those" parents. Just last week, my husband and I personally asked a parent from our team to leave the bleachers area next to the dugout and go out to the parking lot. Because we did NOT want that kind of attitude around our team and other parents who are there for fun. We instill in our team and parents that this is a learning league, that we are there to have fun and learn the fundamentals. We will NOT tolerate any kind of bad sportsmanship or attitude around the field while we are there with the kids. It has worked so far! Wish you luck!
    cwelch2008

Answer by cwelch2008 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My dh was the coach of our dd's soccer team. We didn't have a problem with the parents yelling negative things to the kids, in fact they would cheer for every child, not just their own. The only problem I had during the games was that I kept telling the parents let's all sit together and support our team, but everyone wanted to seat really spread out from each other. As a coach, dh always reminded the girls and the parents that we are a team and should support every member and every child should play a certain percentage in each game. I also had a problem with the fact that nobody wanted to volunteer to do anything (which is a requiremnt in AYSO). I ended up being the team parent and did everything myself.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 10:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Oh God love the kids that have to put up with parents like that. My father was terrible at yelling at my brother while he played. It was so embarrassing! My mom took him out of Soccer when she saw how bad it was.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 10:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We didn't run into that problem. We did have parents try to help the kids on the team while playing like if they noticed one kid would hit the ball to left field every time they'd yell something about it. The only problem we ran into was people not wanting to volunteer to do anything and we had to have so many things covered through the season like concessions, Score board, Some one had to keep the books. I ended up trying to do everything and ended up being team mom.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Oh I definitely feel your pain. My son decided not to play basketball again this year in part because of the bad behavior of some of the parents & coaches. One coach actually tossed a chair aside while walking out onto the court to yell at the ref. These kids were 2nd - 5th grade!! And hockey - OMG, I could go on for pages!

We generally sit away from the most obnoxious parents and talk to them only if they're yelling at our child. I think what bothers me the most is that some of the children take in the unsportsman like behavior they see & hear from their parents and behave the same way to their teammates. We just keep stressing with our son that we expect certain behavior from him and that he can't let these jerks get into his head.

It is infuriating and sucks the enjoyment out of playing these sports.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:13 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We join youth sports programs that do not allow that in any form. Which is how I approached it. No one can coach from tge side lines and everyone cheers even when it is not your team who scores or makes a great play. While not very super competitive it does teach my son good sportsmanship and he learns to love the love the games and sport he is playing at the moment.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I just try to be the best parent for my child and praise him for trying his best.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I never had to deal with it when my son was playing. Our coaches were great, and the parents were, too. Sorry for the trouble you're having, that cannot be good for the kids.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 11:54 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My son does not play sports, thank goodness. He wants to do track this year in middle school, but he is not interested in the other sports.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• we havent played in awhile and this year we decided to sign both boys up. my son is pretty good I dont like to brag about my son, but he isnt bad. however he was not asked to play on all stars. they are doing a 10 yr old team yet half of it is made up of 9 yr olds. and surprise surprise coaches sons, who in fact are only in it b.c their dads want them to do it. but after reading the guidelines for allstars they can keep it. its $70 for uniforms, and if they cant raise the money for the tournaments you have to come out of pocket. thanks but no thanks, I cant afford it. most of the league members left and went to another, there is always going to be favoritism no matter where you go, and for those parents and teams you just have to grin and bear it and walk way. cheer your own child on. fall ball starts sept 1st.

Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2011