2 1/2 yr old watching tv..?

How can you tell if your toddler is watchign too much tv? Ive never thought it was a problem but i recently read they should only get about an hour aday and then i read a bunch of moms say their kids watched 1-3 hours a day but none of them were stay at home moms.. in my house the tv is always on pretty much all day but i monitor what my son watches.. its always nick junior shows with good morals and learning.. We watch omi zoomi which i sit with him and we sing the number songs and stuff and blues clues he loves and points out all sorts of thing and sing along.. i feel like he doesnt enjoy sitting with me when i try to teach him and yet when i sit with him and we sing along to a show he gets more out of it.. he doesnt watch it all day tho.. its on in the background while we play games or color but he spends a good amount of time with it on.. is that a problem?? id like other moms take on this subject. My son is a ball of energy and its nice to get at least one break a day to run around and get a few things around the house done or trhow dinner on the stove.. i also have a six month old [she doesnt watch tv yet ] & my kids play nicely together and he knows to share.. only thing my son is behind in is speech and i really wouldnt even consider him to be THAT far behind in speech

kp0469

Asked by kp0469 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• before i worked i had the tv on almost all day...on nick jr. it mainly just on though...sometimes the kids would stop and watch it, sometimes it would just be on while they were playing.

as long as your child can play by himself for roughly 20 minutes without being entertained by you, someone else or the tv, ect, he's fine.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• One of the issues studies are showing from too much television is speech delays. The shows he is watching is limited in vocabulary, unlike a conversation you would have or what you'd find reading a book together. He can't ask the tv questions to learn more, either.

Here's a link with some information if you are interested.

http://www.pbs.org/parents/childrenandmedia/article-faq.html

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think considering you're sitting with him, engaging him in conversation and he's not just being a couch tot.. that the time spent with it on is just fine. He's learning, he's interacting with you, he's getting feedback. You are using the TV as a tool, not as a babysitter. That's the Proper way to use TV with a child :) You're just fine.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 11:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• so long as it's not replacing his exercise or education from you, or his play time, it's okay
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think the big concern is children that are parked in front of the tv. You're using it for background noise, a learning tool, and a quick breather. All good reasons, if you're really worried turn it off at times during the day.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• yeah that is how my daughter is. she goes to daycare and i know she only watches it when she is with me in the am before daycare and on the days she does not go so i can take a shower. its a lifesaver. she rather be playing upstairs in her room anyways with hr fake kitchen. like the other posters said. its a tool. she learns so much from it and she interact with the tv. she loves kai lan and repeats the chinese words all the time. i think the shows on nickjr are so good now a days its so different. she loves pbs too. she loves superwhy. she sits and really pays attention to it. i always loved tv and i figure she plays and loves books and interacts with people so i guess if its working for you just go with it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with a little TV for a kid his age, especially since you sit there and talk to him about what's going on. But I've read about a few studies that show how TV as background noise interferes with a kid's ability to focus, and therefore reduces how much he's actually getting out of play time even if he's not looking at the TV. Makes sense, right? Isn't that why people put on headphones when working in a loud busy place - so they can reduce the background noise and concentrate? When kids are playing, so much of their mind is working. But if the TV is on, a part of their brain will be spent on that rather than playing. Here's one article:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=5373242&page=2

I'd suggest to go ahead and use the TV when you need to, especially if you can sit there and talk with him about it, but turn it off sometimes so he can learn to fully focus on just playing.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Hmmmm. why have the TV on all day when you're not watching it? The fact that you are sitting with him and watching makes it an interactive social activity. But the rest of the time, it is a passive activity. Little kids are better off when they are fully engaged in what they are doing - coloring, playing with toys, or helping you prepare dinner or clean up the house.
    gerims

Answer by gerims at 5:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• This is a question than many parents ask me! I recently posted a short article on this. You may find the answer helpful. Here's the link:
    http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=194585087254403
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 8:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• thanks everyone. He really does talk alot i just dont know if its as much as other toddlers his age.. Im going to enroll him this year in a early toddlers pre k class so he can socialize more with kids his own age and have more play time with them as well. Im constantly listening to him sing the counting songs and naming colors.. he loves to watch dino dan and names the dinosuars.. yet there are other kids his age ive met that know their full name and how to spell their first name and even a kid who knows his own address.. maybe they are just ahead? My son knows his name is Noah. He knows all of our family memebers names and knows all sorts of animals and the sounds they make.. and he says please and thank you without me always having to remind him to say it.. He knows when its snowing, or raining, or hot out and says it.. but a lot of his speech is still jibberish..
    kp0469

Comment by kp0469 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Jun. 18, 2011