Nest and eggs in my flower pot?

I took down one of my hanging pots yesterday to water it, and I found a nest with 5 eggs!! Can I still water the flowers in there, or will it keep momma bird away? I watered them yesterday, very carefully and around the outside of the pot, not the center (where the nest was!) ... did I already ruin it?!

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 10:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I've heard that the momma bird watches the nest and if she sees anyone touching it or going near it she abandons the nest. I didn't believe it until it happened to us. The birds had built a nest on our outside speakers (which drives dh crazy). He went up the ladder to see if there were any eggs in there and the next thing we knew the mom never came back! but what's interesting is that dh keeps removing empty nests from above our speakers and they keep building them again! Hopefully your momma bird will come back and the babies will be fine.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 11:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I would just water my flowers and not worry about the birds. Birds are so silly. They will build a nest almost anywhere. One built on our son's front porch in a hanging fern. He allowed the birds to hatch out, only to have another one or maybe the same one lay more eggs in the nest. So he threw her out, because the fern was dying. Birds just need to learn where to build their silly nests. Water your flowers and let the bird figure out what to do about it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have a friend that had a bird build a nest in her plant- she carefully watered around the nest and the momma didn't abandon it. The babies hatched out a couple weeks later, and all was well :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:51 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Sounds like a Wren to me....they will make a nest in all sorts of strange places that other birds don't. They love hanging baskets and even old boots on a back porch (if it's not real super busy). I had one lay 5 eggs last year and the year before in the same Fern hanging on my front porch. I carefully watered the plant slowly and didn't touch anything else and she kept right on taking care of her family. I do know she could have just as easily abandoned it though. They do that if it makes them nervous. I hope she continues and you get to see the babies. I used to quietly watch the wren through the window to the porch, she would feed and tend them until one morning they had all flew the nest. I love nature.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• PS--I made sure I didn't take the hanging basket DOWN when watering though. I got a stepstool so I could leave the nest almost undisturbed. I knew the mama was watching me from somewhere.
    Good Luck!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• So far so good- she's still taking care of her babies... I'm only watering when she's not out there (off getting food maybe?) so I don't scare her off by coming outside! I AM taking the nest down, but I may do like you said and use a stool in the future. so cute!!!
    livn4hevn

Comment by livn4hevn (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2011