i need some advice for how to quit smoking

anybody been in this place before??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Health

• I was a smoker and what I did was 1) I decided I wasn't going to smoke anymore 2) I said the pack I had open was going to be my last pack 3) I enjoyed every last cigarette in that pack 4) threw the empty pack away and just never smoked another one. I wanted to smoke, I have cried cause I wanted a cigarette so bad, but I had decided I wasn't going to do it so I just didn't. I have determined that if you are a smoker, you will probably always WANT to smoke...you just choose whether or not you are going to smoke. After 9 years, I still would love to smoke sometimes, but I just tell myself, oh well, you gave it up so you'll have to find something else to do. I haven't slipped 1 time. It can be done.
    Anonymous

• when u find out whats an easy way 2 quit let me know
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• my dad was on that chatix however its spelled and he quit within 7 days im about to get it i need to quit but its like 150 dollars but cheaper than cigs
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Well, I have NO idea how to quit, but my husband has tried zantax, nicotrol inhaler, the patch, quitting cold turkey, the gum (not sure what it's called), chantix, and the lozenges. From what I seen, the lozenges are what worked the best. My neighbor quit on the lozenge too. I do know of a few people who found chantix to work well. Sorry, I guess I am not much help, especially because my husband started smoking again after about 7 months of not smoking. But for those 7 months the lozenge is what helped. Good luck anyways.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Oh my, can you tell I have had too much caffeine this morning? Lol.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Well, for me it was getting pregnant! LOL!! I found out I was pregnant and quit cold turkey that very day. DH quit cold turkey a week later. Some tips on what helped us was to change your routine...like the route you drive to work (or somewhere you drive to often). I always had certain spots that I would light up at, so changing my route, I wasn't passing those spots anymore. DH wrote a letter to our dd about how sad he was that he was going to miss all the important things in her life, graduation, marriage, first dances, etc....for him it just kind of put things into perspective. Good luck!! It's one of the hardest things you'll ever do...but IMO, soooo worth it!!!
    tscritch

Answer by tscritch at 4:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• mentally prepare yourself by reminding yourself of all the reasons you want to. get annoyed by the smell, the cost, the aggravation of going outside in public places. set a quit date a week or two out at the most. stop having cigarettes out of habit. when you get the urge to light one, put it down and do something else (do not try to talk yourself out of it: you will be still focused on cigarettes... just distract yourself with something else. if you really can't get it out of your mind, then have one. cold turkey on the quit date. it's really much easier than people make it out to be (just ask my sis who used to smoke over a pack a day for 25 years and quit cold turkey) if you just set your mind to it.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• also, i knew a three pack a day smoker who quit via acupuncture - said it is totally worth the expense
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• watching anyone die slowly from emphysema will stop anyone in their tracks....my mom didn't think it would happen to her either........
    Anonymous