How to deal with body odor

My daughter is nine. She has really bad BO and horribly stinky feet. I need to know how to help her, other than helping her wash and all that. Any ideas? Please help!

orpackfan

Asked by orpackfan at 3:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Deoderant and the like for stocking stuffers........
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Have her use an antibacterial soap such as Dial. Wash her feet a couple of times a day as well as use it on her body while bathing. Have her use Clinical Strength Secret or Degree. They work really well. She can also use a powder, such as baby powder on her body and feet.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Time for deoderant/antiperspirant. There are odor products for feet/shoes, as well. If her feet sweat a lot, she can actually use an antiperspirant on the soles of her feet.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Show her how to use deoderant properly and talk to her about the importance of it. Second the feet, you can try Gold Bond. My dds feet were pretty smelly and we used that. You can also look up home remedies online to help kill the feet funk.
    Id also do as the PP mentioned, deoderant, bath stuff, lotions etc.

Answer by gemgem at 4:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Making sure she washes really well is pretty much all you can do, short of putting powder in her shoes and slathering on a million different deoderants like my parents did. (Traumatized me, it did.) She's probably starting puberty, and BO is one of the many horrible side effects of it. I wasn't aware of it at the time, but my TEACHERS were calling my parents saying that I was a stinky child. My parents never told me why they put the powder in my shoes...they just did it and dealt with it until my hormones leveled out around age 14. Just don't make your daughter feel bad and let her know that you're going to get through it together. Body odor can be contained with really good hygiene practices.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Oh, and to add to that...

I'm not saying that powder and deodorant are bad ideas altogether...just make sure you explain to her WHY she needs to wear them, if you decide to go that route. Don't just hand them to her and expect her to know what to do, yanno? That might make her feel bad.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• LMAO! OH MY GOSH....I've so been there! Both my boys were soooo stinky~! Now that they're older and have girlfriends....they can't be clean enough, groomed enough or smell good enough! It's hilarious..they spend more time in front of the mirror than I do! But BG..before girls..I made sure they regularly showered. I might have to tell them 5 times before they finally got in there to wash the stink off but you just have to be pushy! I also asked friends about the BO and was to told to try Mitchum Deodorant. It worked the best for those stinky pits. The feet ~ Gold Bond powder in their shoes. Hope this helps a bit....Good Luck and thanks for the smell down memory lane : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Baths/showers of course

Powder and clean socks of course.

Maybe a "girly day". Do it as a "growing up" day. Take her to get deodorant (let her pick the scent - I love the Secret ones myself.) Then to Bath and Body Works. Let her pick out a light scent for bodywash.
    Anonymous

• The tannins present in tea, are a drying agent and will help control odor. Do this twice a day until the odor goes away.
    SERVES 1 (change servings and units)

Ingredients
    4 regular tea bags
    1 quart water
    Directions
    1Bring the water to boil.
    2Drop in the tea bags and allow to cool off.
    3Dunk your feet in and allow to soak for 10-15 minutes.
    4Do this two times a day until the problem goes away!
    iluvmytriniti

Answer by iluvmytriniti at 5:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• When my kids started 4th grade I gave them both deoderant and made sure they used it every day. Starting in 6th grade they have to shower daily. No arguments!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2008