Soother weaning

My son is just over 4 months old. He only gets his soother at bed time. However, he wakes every hour-2 hours, wanting me to put the soother back in his mouth. I need some sleep. I figured if he can fall asleep without the soother, he will sleep longer at night. But, he screams if i lay him in his crib without it. How can i go about getting him to sleep without it. I CAN NOT DO THE CRY IT OUT METHOD. we tried it, and he was so traumatized, I had to hold him for 5 hours, and he had to nap with me, when he normally will only nap in his crib.

parkersmommyj

Asked by parkersmommyj at 4:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• soother?
    Anonymous

• pacifier, sucky, dummy
    Anonymous

• Why is it that you dont want to give it to him at bedtime my childrens doctor says its the best thing for them if they take it.I guess they need it for awhile none of my kids like it..sorry
    CaseyKids

Answer by CaseyKids at 11:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• he wakes up every hour wanting it put back in his mouth. he used to sleep 8 hours without it, and was a self soother. now he cant sleep without it. i gave it to him on the advise of my dr. but, its not much help if he spits it out 5 min after hes asleep. over a month of getting up every hour just to put a soother in his mouth is draining me. i wish i had never given him the soother. he used to sucks his fingers in the night, just as helpful with sids, but now he wont even do that
    parkersmommyj

Answer by parkersmommyj at 10:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2008