How did you handle it?

My daughter starts school this coming August. I'm a little scared that she wont do so well. She is very shy and doesnt talk much around people she doesnt know, especially adults. How will they know what she wants and needs if she wont talk to them and communicate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have 6 kids and my fourth one is like that. She's always been really quiet and shy. In Primary school she didn't do so well because although she's a lovely girl, she was often overlooked in class and never asserted herself. But she is who she is. Can't change it. Now that she's in High school, she's suddenly taken off, academically, getting better grades than any of her siblings. She's also far more mature for her age than the others. She's a lovely person. Don't try to change her or regret who she is. We're all differnt and she will find strengths, given the chance. Just support her where you can and encourage her to be comfortable with who she is.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• well my son talks a lot and didn't want much to do with them drilling him with questions at registration. They told me he could only count to 7. I hope they approach him different when he's in school. I am going to talk to the teacher when we meet. I was not impressed with their communication skills and they insisted he was 4 yrs old. He'll be 6 in July. wth? they confused him like crazy. i was not happy
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 11:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• she'll do fine :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Thats not right the way they treated your son. The preschool that my daughter is gonna go to seems like a nice school and the staff is really nice.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My daughter's the same way. For the longest time if a stranger talked to her she'd stare into neutral space and ignore everyone. That was from babyhood. She's now 4 and she won't hardly talk to anyone, but she will look at them and nod a yes or no if they ask he something.

If you're really concerned about it, send her teacher an email before school starts and let him/her know about your reservations about your daughter. I did that with my son's first teacher at the beginning of this year. My email was more to give her a head's up about some behavior issues/boredom issues he had had in kindergarten. She really appreciated the email and told me later that that email was spot on; for his strengths and weaknesses.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have a little girl that was like that when she first started school. She is very shy and rarely talked at school, but the teachers were very understanding and worked with her on it. She is still very quiet at school, but they love her because she is so sweet and NEVER gets in trouble. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I imagine teachers see all kinds of kids and that they understand about shy or reserved ones, & realize as well that the beginning of K is a big transition for most kids regardless of temperament.
    I would suggest that you assume that it will go well. Assume it will be an adjustment but that the child will be resilient & also figure things out and find her comfort zone (you indicate that she's had a good preschool experience so that bodes well, in my opinion.) From there (an assumption of normalcy & success), you can watch & notice whether that seems to be the case.
    My daughter is a very quiet, serious observer type. She is the kind who "seems" shy or needy, tentative, but as her teacher observed it's not actual shyness or timidity, but an overall observing approach. (She was self-directed, quick to find her groove & never needed extra support or guidance, could approach others easily when she wished, etc.) It takes all kinds!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2011