Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Elderly Abuse

I just found out my grandma is being abused by her caregivers. (her own daughter and her common-law husband) My grandmother is 80 years old and suffers from dementia. She will tell us stuff, like the other day the husband pushed her down. She is all bruised but not tells us she can't remember how it happened. She is no longer acting like herself. I talk to her every night and now tonight she refuses to talk to me same with everyone she usually talks to every day. We've called the police and they said they're really isn't much we can do since she can't confirm she is she is in fact being abused. Can anyone suggest what we can do? The one person that has power of attorney over her lives in another state. He is aware of what is going on but can't do anything from where he lives.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Call the NCEA (National Center for Elderly Abuse) The # is 1-800-677-1116. It goes by state, but they can tell you where to go from there.

    Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

  • both you and the person with power of attorney need to hotline state - the department of health and senior services. If there are physical signs of abuse the police should be able to do something. keep calling the police and state everytime time you see injuries on her. maybe take her to the hospital and have them examine her they are also required to report it. maybe that would get farther with the police. I hope this helps sure wish i could do more for you.

    Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

  • there should be some form of Adult protective services in your area, call, call, and call again, it may take a few before they do anything, GL

    Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

  • AND you need to work on that power of attorney! Is that just for finances, or everything? If you can, and you have the POA permission, you could get her out of there. Call the number that first answerer gave you and good luck! I will say a prayer for you and your family tonight. Tough situation, I have been there.

    Answer by dwmom2008 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

  • The other thing you can do is call the local police station and ask them to go do a welfare check on her. I believe the cops will then HAVE to go into the house to check on living conditions and they'll start asking questions if they see any bruises on her.

    What is a police welfare check


    Answer by Rosehawk at 12:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • call her MD and request appointment,if they suspect abuse /neglect i think they legally need to report Robin

    Answer by RobinChristine at 2:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2011