How did you take away the Pacifier and what age was the child?

YellowBaby

Asked by YellowBaby at 11:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2 yo for my DD, we told her one day that today we are going to say bye bye to the binky, we went to party city and let her pick out ten helium balloons (whichever color she wanted) and then went to the park, tied all the binkys to them, put them in her hand and told her to let go, she did and said bye bye. she still remembers it but never asked for it again because they went up in the sky. I didnt think she would do well with it but she did
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• There was so much trauma about this on my part, that I am still trying to forget, and my son is 8 yo!

I found a passy in one of my winter coat pockets when he was like 5, and I was all OMG, my hubs was like what's up? When I showed him, he just died laughing. I think my son would still suck on one if they had one big enough!

We went to just in the bed at night at ate 3 yo. Gradually, as they got lost, I stopped replacing them. I cannot remember the exact day, but I hope you have less drama than I did!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My oldest daughter was 3 when we went to just nights and naps with her 'tatty' . We threw a 'No More Tatty' party complete with gifts! lol Then 4 months later we took it away completely. I actually did not throw them away. She threw away the 1st one ( I took a picture of her and praised her) and then every pacifier I found I just snipped off the end and put it back where I found it. Since they were all 'broken' she didn't want them anymore. LOL My 2nd daughter refused it once her front teeth started coming in at 9 mos old...no drama from her. WHEW!!!!
    Ersasmom

Answer by Ersasmom at 11:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• honestly I just never gave one to her unless she was having surgery and not allowed to eat. . .otherwise she would have not gotten one at all. . .saves a lot of trouble
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 11:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I didn't take them away from my kids. One didn't like her Binky. The other two just forgot about them by themselves when they were maybe 2 years old. I didn't think it was a big deal. Kids sometimes need to suck on them. It is not a bad thing.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i hope the day will come soon. at her next dentist appointment i will ask. he told me its better for her to have he pacifer then her thumb because we can take away the pacifer eventually and he doesnt; know any kid going into kindergarten with a pacifer but he doesn't know my family. lol but i will see when the time really comes if there is drama or not.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• 5 mos old. We took her paci and broke her swaddle all at the same time. I felt like a bad mom at the time but I would go back and do it again in a heartbeat.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:29 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We limited it to the crib at a year. My oldest "lost" his one night, he cried, but never asked for it again after that horrible night! My 4th simply lost interest in his around 20 months, no trauma. My 2nd sucked his fingers and I can tell you, a paci is much easier to break!

Answer by missanc at 1:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• The night before the first birthday my husband went through the house, car, pockets and diaper bag. We took EVERY pacifier we could find and threw them in the garbage. WE missed the darn things more than our kids did, but only for a few days until the kids found other ways to comfort themselves.

They're now 4 and 7.5 and neither one is really a finger sucker or has anything they'd die if it got lost. They're also fantastic at getting themselves back to sleep in the middle of the night, and always have been.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My daughter stopped on her own when she was 18 months. My son is 14 months and we currently only use it in the crib. I hope to have him off it as well as 18 months.

My biggest pet peeve is seeing a child that is too old to have one!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 11:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2011