Potty traing a child with autism

me and my husband have been trying to get our 5 yr old son potty trained for over a year now. we are out of ideas nothing seems to be working he has absolutely no interest in the potty. please moms of children with autism how did you get your child to go on the potty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• a friend of mine has a son who is autistic. She said she had tried to potty train at 3, but her son wasn't ready. About a 1 1/2 later he was ready and did it on his own. is your son showing signs that he is interested?
    canelamami

Answer by canelamami at 12:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My daughter was the same way! At age 51/2 I took a clipboard to the bathroom and hung it on the back of the door. I gave her alot to drink and I also kept 'easy access' clothing on her just in case she wanted to do it herself . Every 30 minutes I put her on the toilet whether she had wet herself prior or not. I never said anything negative but I would praise her big time if she actually 'went'. After a week of checkmarks on that clipboard, she got tired of me and just started going by herself to urinate. The next hurtle was figuring out what time she pooped everyday and making sure I caught her before she got that 'I am about to poop in my pants' look....you know the one :) We bought alot of Dora the Explorer panties during this time frame ( it also took a little longer since she was afraid part of her body was falling off, LOL ) but we were successful! GOOD LUCK!
    Ersasmom

Answer by Ersasmom at 12:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• my son has autistic behaviors but is severely brain damaged fro multiple strokes. I would put him in"big boy"underwear the a pull up,he could feel the mess bit avoid embarrasing accidents. Thor did not fully train until he was about 13YO,he is now 15,good luck,Robin
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:29 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• have you tried putting fruit loops in the toilet and seeing if he can pee on them?
    preemiemommy

Answer by preemiemommy at 9:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2011