Do you sometimes forget how lucky we are to have the freedoms and rights that we do?

After watching a documentary about North Korea on the National Geographic channel, I can honestly say that even though I don't agree with the politics and choices of our leaders, I'm sure glad we have the right to disagree with them without getting shot or sentenced to a death camp.

And health care? Let's just be greatful that our president and congress give a damn enough to make sure it's atleast affordable and available to us. When I see dying children in other countries because their dictator won't give them any medical assistance, I become thankful for the rights we have as citizens to health care and public assistance for those who are poor. Otherwise, we'd starve to death and die of so many horrible diseases and our children would suffer.

People complain about paying taxes but be thankful you have all the money you need to take care of your family and buy luxury items and still go on vacation and that it's not all taken away by some a-hole at the top.

I know I'm ranting but I'm just so thankful to be an American.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am always PROUD to be American and I'm thankful everyday for our Military and their families that sacrifice everything so we can continue being free!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I'm not thankful for our medical insurance. My husband just got a new job, thank God, that as an administrative perk, is going to pay for our entire family's medical insurance. In order to be covered the last 2 months on our current plan, we must continue to pay $912 per month for crappy insurance and $125 per month for eyecare That is $1,032 per month. The amount we will gain from not having to pay for that is more than the raise in salary my husband will get for this job. We've paid over $12,000 a year for 3 years now, for insurance we can't afford to use. Nope, not thankful at all for the gutless way the president approached this.
    A good many countries have freedom of speech and citizens who frequently use it when their government is doing right by them.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• But you have the right to run for congress and fight it or march on DC and protest it. So you're still in a better position than most people.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 2:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• nope sure dont thats what i fight for everyday!!!!!
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 2:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• and people still dont appreciate it i wish they would leave the country and go to one of these countries where everything is controlled where they can't protest funerals and speak their mind!!! then maybe they would appreciate us people who fight for their freedom
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 2:34 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• adnilm, be thank ful your DH has/had a job and COULD take care of the family. I understand the frustration of the money you had to pay, but my DH & I have come REALLY close to losing our home b/c of the economy but I support my President maybe not the man but the Office. We live in the best damn nation in the world.
    I live near Everett, WA where we have the USS Lincoln , USS Shoop, Momson & Davis homeported. It sends chills thru my bones when I see teh ships. They are chills of pride for the best military in the world.
    God bless the USA
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 2:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• NOPE!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• No, I never forget because I heard the stories from my parents and grandparents of what it was like leaving their (respective) countries and coming to America, especially my father because he came from a Communist country. Even now, my mother regularly states "God Bless America" because of all that we have here. It's also top of mind because of the fact that, slowly but surely, those rights seem to be taken away from us ... just watch the news and see what's happening ... a very scary thought indeed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Sometimes I forget that I am lucky to have what I have and that others dont. I have to remind myself to be grateful because things could be very different.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 8:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I am thankful everyday for where I live.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2011