Can I request to be induced?????????????

I am currently 40 weeks and 3 days, my due date was this past Sunday June 5th. I haven't had much contractions but the pelvic pressure is out of this world right now. The doctor told me 2 weeks ago that he guessed my little boy was about 7.5-8 lbs which is a good size baby. The last two days my feet has swollen so big that I can't fit ANY shoes, not even flip flops. I wear a size 8 but for my feet to fit comfortably in a shoe I had to borrow my cousin's flip flops which are size 10's and the shoes are still on the tight side. I can actually feel the water in the top of my foot whenever I walk and it hurts really bad when you press down on it. I've also noticed that my hands were swollen as well to the point where I couldn't fit my ring which is a little big. I checked my blood pressure and it was a normal blood pressure. I have an appointment at 11:15 today and I was thinking about asking the doctor if I can be induced this Thursday or Friday because I'm at the point now where I'm really uncomfortable and nothing I do is working for comfort. My boyfriend works out of town Sunday-Thursday so I would really love to have my son while he's here with me because this is our first baby and we want to experience the labor and delivery together. Do you think the doctor will induce me by request? Also I am high risk because of two previous miscarriages so I don't know if that makes a difference as well.

teshia6288

Asked by teshia6288 at 1:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You can request to be induced, but I don't suggest it if it's not medically necessary (which it's not, just sounds like you're personally preferring to be induced). Your due date could be off, and there are many MANY risks with induction... including a higher % of c-sections. Having been there and done that, and seen the risks of induction first hand... Baby sleepy from the epidural, is one, that really bummed me out. Trying to breastfeed and baby wasn't latching on so they had to put a tube down her nose to get her to eat until the drugs wore off.

The miscarriage ordeal is over. It no longer should affect this pregnancy.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I did. They did it too. It was subzero weather, hubby was working out of state, I have NO help and am alone with the kids. That way I was able to ensure a sitter for my children, and husband was home. I had sugury after as well and needed the help.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You can. I wouldn't. The problems you mentioned sound like any normal pregnancy at the end. You need to be off your feet more, keep them propped up and relax (relaxation can start labor). Your doctor will induce somewhere around 42 weeks anyway, you should prolly just wait for that before risking an induction. Pitosin is not your friend, trust me.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 1:54 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You can request whatever you want. Doesn't mean your doctor will do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Inducing adds a lot of unnecessary risks.

Whether your doctor will grant your wishes will vary. Some will others won't.

If health and safety are your priority, avoid unnecessary risks.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• you can ask it never hurts to ask but most of the time they wont unless its a health risk/ emergency or if you are way past your due date!!!
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 2:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• At this point, yes. You are overdue and most doctors WILL induce you if you request it.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• If I were you I would wait another week and let things progress naturally. Your little one is staying in there for a reason. Waiting at the end especially when you go over your due date is miserable, I know I have done it twice but it totally worth it in the end.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Talk to your doctor about your concerns and see what they have to say :) They will do whats best for you and help make you as comfortable as possible.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 8:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• First of all I just wanted to say that the estimate on your baby's size means absolutely NOTHING (it most likely isnt even close to accurate) so dont have that be a factor in wanting to get induced.

Having said that...

I would definitely ask to be induced because it cant hurt to ask!!! I was induced twice and had QUICK labors that went VERY smoothly (2 1/2 hours & 4 1/2 hours) I had a scheduled induction a week before my due date with my 3rd but I went into labor 9 days before my induction date and had the labor from HELL so I am hoping to be induced this time around!

I do not see anything wrong with being induced a week after your due date... even if you are off on your dates, you will still be full term (37+) so everything SHOULD be ok with the baby's development. I would definitely have them check your cervix for effacement, dilation & the baby's station to make sure that you have a "favorable" cervix because
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:50 AM on Jun. 8, 2011