What were your opinions about Dr. kevorkian (aka Dr. Death)?

Alot of people accused him of playing "God" but he once said that Medical and surgical doctors are doing the same thing by interrupting a natural, biological process by providing medication and surgeries to ill people. Is that not playing God?

Also, if a loved one is suffering from a terminal illness isn't it their right to say they don't want to suffer from it anymore? Why let them suffer until they die when they can die in peace? We do it for our pets why not for our loved ones?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I personally could not go through suicide, however, I do feel that a person has the right to die on their own terms.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Ambivalent
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't believe that what he did was wrong in any way. The suicide rate among seniors is the highest of any age group. Many of these poor people died slow and/or painful deaths. They were obviously already in tremendous pain of some sort. They should at least be allowed to go out peacefully and with a companion.
    xiwasapostcardx

Answer by xiwasapostcardx at 2:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I agreed with him. My Grandmother had altimers and it was horrible. I think if someone is terminal they should get to die on better terms, their terms.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 2:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't think it is our right to say when we will die,that is God's job,coming from a Christian standpoint. On the same token I dont see how they(the law) could say his behavior was criminal yet abortions are not,taking a life is taking a life. it does not matter if the life is 6 weeks old in utero or 85 years old and lived a full life,Robin
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Mixed feelings. Having worked in hospice I know what a wonderful and beautiful time it can be. There are many wonderful ways to keep patients comfortable and still have tge maximum quality of life possible for their condition. Many patients have openly said the end part of their life was the best part and are glad they didn't miss out on the process. If your team can't keep you comfortable - you have the wrong providers. And you can stop interventions but continue on with comfort measures. Even the most difficult cases initially I saw peaceful times in the end. Dying and being terminal does not have to hurt. I know I personally would not want to miss out on those last few months, weeks, days, hours and minutes with my family. I have faith it works out the way it is meant to. On the other hand if someone wants to end their life they will. Perhaps they too deserve assistance and not to be alone.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:54 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think its up to the person who is suffering from a disease that will only get worse.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 8:55 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• What he did was wrong because it is illegal. Whether or not it's wrong in any individuals eyes is up to them. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm not totally against someone being able to choose to end their lives but the situation matters. It's selfish to take your own life because you can't hang and won't get help but if you are dying and you are ill and know your time is coming soon anyway I think it should be up to the individual and their family.
    I agree that there are ways to make the last months or weeks more comfortable but it is for most horribly emotional and stressful. Most of the time If they are ill the only way to make hem comfortable and symptom free is to load them up with morphine so they know little of what is going on anyway.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• We do it for our pets why not for our loved ones?--

exactly, op!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't know. I'm not a big fan of suicide, but then again I have never been in a position where I am medically dependant for day to day living and I have never had a terminal illness. I imagine my opinion on the subject would change dramatically if I one day found myself in those circumstances. What he was doing was illegal so it doesn't really matter what I thought of him. Now that he has passed on, I guess it's up to his maker (if he believes in that) to judge him.

I would like to think that what he was doing was for the mercy of those that were dying and desperate for peace.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2011