C-sections

At my 20 week gender scan me an my husband was told our son weight was 13oz !!! my husband an his brothers were big babies, keeping that in mind an me also being only 5ft an before pregnancy weighing in at 110lb, wat are my chances of having to have a c-section? im honestly not worried if i do need one or not but i would rather know my chances.....

annie176

Asked by annie176 at 1:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Those things are never correct. They told me my daughter would be between 8 and 12 lbs at birth. She weighed 7 lbs exactly.

You cannot trust their weight guesstimates, and that's exactly what they are... Guesstimates.

At this point, your chances are just as much as the normal womans. Your doctor will look at your bone structure and if you continue to get large, maybe do another US for another GUESSTIMATE. If he/she feels confident that you cannot deliver the baby vaginally, then they'll schedule a CS. But, I don't expect them to make any decisions based on what you've said. They'll likely wait and see how the baby progresses, because every pregnancy and every child is different.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Babies (guesstimated) size is no reason to plan a cesarean.
    They are risky!! Save it for an emergency!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i dont think any of the weights given to us were close because they said my daughter was way small and when she came out she was 2 pounds more than they said...its your choice if you want a c section you can have it scheduled if you feel that is best for you talk to your dr about it! I had one but it wasnt by choice well it kinda was because my daughter was doing flips when i started pushing they said i could still push and see how things came out or i could have a c section which they would have probably ended up doing anyways but i didnt want to have anything go wrong so i just decided to have a c section!!
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 2:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I hate when they guess the baby's weight like that! My first baby was supposed to be at least 9 pounds and my 2nd baby was supposed to be around 10! The first was a little over 6 and the 2nd was a little over 7.

I'm not sure that the mom's height and weight correlates with the size of the birth canal though. I'm a tall, big boned (and overweight) woman with big, wide hips and it appears that I could birth a large baby without trouble. But my first baby became lodged in the birth canal because I am too narrow there on and my pelvis is tilted a lot. She eventually came out with the help of the vacuum thingy. I had a c-section with my 2nd baby and not because of her guessed size, but for other reasons. I had a very non-typical good experience with the c-section and a very non- typical quick and easy recovery but I would recommend planning for a vaginal birth because a CS is major surgery and most have a long recovery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Weight of the baby is not a valid reason to do a c-section. If they try to push it on you for this alone, find a new doctor. Chances of needing one?? 50/50 either you will or you won't. But you won't because they suspect baby weighs XX pounds.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I'm 5ft 2 in and was 125lbs . My husband is 6ft 5in. When I had our son I ended up having an emergency c-section. after a 16 hour labor. Our son ended up being 9lbs 7oz and 21in! Tried as I might I could not manage to fit that huge boy. Now we are 12 weeks pregnant with number 2. They are suggesting I have a c-section no later than 39 weeks because I could rupture with another large child. Usually boys are bigger than girls so you can try to gauge size that way. You can also request a sono closer to your due date than will tell you how big baby is. That could save you some stress. c-sections are not a picnic but they can bring your baby into the world safely. There are also some long term after effects that can make life difficult for you, but they are tolerable. I wish I would have opted for the sono closer to the end. Hang in there. A c-section will bring you a few days of hell, But can be worth it! GL
    Afrontz

Answer by Afrontz at 3:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2011