Do ever just let ur toddler fall asleep on their own?

it's 11pm n I have no energy to put my overly active 3 yo to sleep. SO went to his cousins for a bit n I'm all for waiting for him to get back. Mind u we usually put him down at 9 but I feel so swollen n full I don't want to lie down. Btw: I'm 33wks prego

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes, my Dd has a bedtime routine where we read her a book in bed and then we give hugs and kisses goodnight and leave the room.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 2:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• i put my daughter to bed at 9 even if shes not acting super tired but she dnt fight or anything she falls asleep w in 10 min i put her music toy with her and she stares at it and passes out
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 2:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• At 3 years old, some of my kids were happy to put themselves to bed, but others not. I'm happy to have some cuddles until they fall asleep, because they grow up so very fast. We always try to make bedtime a special time, and get them off to sleep happy and content. If that means lots of stories and cuddles, that's absolutely fine with me.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Yes she does everynight, have you tried putting her down a bit earlier, 9pm is quite late, maybe she is over tierd?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• lol @ "9pm is quite late"
    my daughter is 2 and a half, and at the current time of 2:10am is sitting here watching spongebob. If she doesn't want to go to bed, I get her to brush her teeth, change her pull-ups, and let her watch cartoons until she decides she's tired. As long as I'm up. When I go to bed, so does she. no if's and's or but's about it.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Mine has been going to sleep on her own since she was an infant. However, she does go to bed pretty late and sleeps in in the morning so she's still getting enough sleep, it's just at different hours than the "normal" sleep and wake times.

Would it work to put a chair next to his bed for you to sit in so you don't have to lie down? I'm pregnant with my 3rd and am so not looking forward to the last trimester swollen feeling. Good luck! : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• My daughter went through stages of when she went to bed. Around years 2 and 3 was really touchy. She would go to bed around midnight no matter what we tried and then she would wake up a few hours later and she wouldnt go back to sleep unless she could come sleep in bed with me (my husband works night shift). Now she goes in her room at 9pm to go to bed and she is out usually no later than 9:30pm. At 8pm I tell her you have 1 hour then its bed time and I tell her again at 8:30pm that she has 30 minutes left. I found that giving her a warning at least half hour before bed time helps because then its not a complete surprise that bed time is here. She doesnt feel that she got ripped off on time to play. But she goes to bed by herself. I'm 34 weeks prego and by bed time I have no energy to mess with her and she knows that so she doesnt fight it at all.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2011