How or where can you research how much money given to a donated charity actually goes where it's said to?

With the approach of the holidays, my husband and I are considering giving ourselves the gift of donating to a charity. I like the concept of adopting a child overseas for just 70-odd cents a day, but I'm afraid that not enough money goes where it's claimed to. There's got to be a place to research how the money is spent that a charity collects and how reputable it is? Or, does anyone contribute to a charity that they've found especially honest and reputable? I'm open to suggestion. Thank you :)

Jinxiewolf

Asked by Jinxiewolf at 4:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Money & Work

• You should be able to request it from the charity

Anonymous

• http://www.cfcausa.org
    We have sponsored a child through this group for several years. I believe they have a very low expense ratio.
    Anonymous