Any tips on packing for a family of seven, who are going on a trip for more than a week?

Usually we get to the hotel, and everything gets kind of chaotic. Dirty clothes gets mixed in with clean clothes and everything ends up getting wrinkled. I am not sure what would work best. Any advice?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Travel

• Okay someone told me about this and it worked great for a family of four, so I am sure it will for you. You plan each days outfit and fold it together and then roll it up. You can always iron it later. It saves a lot of space and it's very efficient. Just pick up a roll and you are good to go.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• rolling up outfits is a great solution especially because it's the best way to get more into your suitcase. apparently rolled up clothes take up less space than layered clothes.

also, have you guys ever considered renting a vacation home? we love it and they always have washer/dryer facilities plus a KITCHEN which comes in really handy. our favorite websites for finding vacation home info are

www.vrbo.com
    www.homeaway.com
    www.vacapedia.com
    www.vacationrentals.com

if you're going somewhere in particular that i've been i might be able to recommend a home for your fam.
    thelees3

Answer by thelees3 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• wow! In one room? Get a big mesh bag for dirty(underwear, slopped on socks) stuff at the dollar store. Bring some quarters and dryer sheets and some detergent from home. do they still make those tide blocks? I would do some aundry at night. I ony let everbody put the REALLY dirty things in the bag. Certain clothes can be worn at least twice.
    Family Fun.com usually has great ideas too.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• when i travel, depending if its air, sea, or car, i pack one suitcase with my gear, and then another one is left kinda light, and when i come home that is my dirty clothes, and my trinkets that i've bought. i am a light packer.. depending on where im going, i hardly take socks. on my last jaunt to the carribean i took 9 pairs of undies, a bathing suit, four shorts, and five tops, and two capris, and one pair of tennis shoes and one pair of flip flops.. gotta go light, when you fly. When I pack, I then unpack and start minimizing it. Good luck, because 7 is alot of people to pack for. if you have a couple of kids that wear the same size clothes, pack them together, at least if they are the same sex... lol
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 9:44 PM on Dec. 11, 2008